Recommendation for tracking a non-powered vehicle

mdtaylorlrim5 years ago

Magnets are easy to come by. Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's, https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-magnets

The Oyster2 GPS device can be ordered with a connector to send data to Traccar. Self programmable over the air. Manufacturer claims a 5-7 year battery life reporting position 2 times a day. Uses off the shelf AA size Lithium (LTC) batteries. Uses 10 Micro Amps during sleep mode (only powering the accelerometer.)

The program I am looking at sleeps while the trailer is parked (90% of the time) and reports every 12 hours. In motion it records its position at 5 minute intervals and reports that movement at 1 hour intervals until parked. Then reports it's last position and goes to sleep.

If I get 2-3 months battery live I will be happy. Although thieves are generally stupid, they will often not use the lights when stealing things. And, if during the day they lights would not be used anyway.

MagicWes5 years ago

What is the lowest cost device that matches the topic of this discussion (non powered devices, trailers, etc) that works with Traccar?

Norm5 years ago

I have many Oyster, Remora and Yabby trackers running. They will do exactly what you want. Digital Matter will need to set up the the Traccar connector to send it to your server. That can be either http or tcp. I prefer the TCP connector.

mdtaylorlrim5 years ago

Where on earth did you find them? I have been looking for the Oyster LTE for a while now and no one has them available. The SigFox model is available but the coverage in the US is completely inadequate for practical use.

Norm5 years ago

I buy them from there US sales rep out of Atlanta. I only use LTE and 3G models as SigFox is not available in my area. If your interested I can get you his contact info.

Mark Bailey5 years ago

Am an absolute newb at this stuff but I have my Traccar server up and running and can track my mobile so that is start.

I have just purchased a Remora-3GE and a Remora2-2G.

Can anyone advise how I access the Remora devices to set the Device ID and the Server URL please?

Morgan2 years ago

I have also Purchased a Digital Matters Device, the Yabby-Edge. I have not been able to set up for tracking.
Using the hologram sim. Can I forward the data from the Hologram sim directly? Hologram can send routes using IFTTT Maker Webhook and Custom Webhook URL.