July 17, 2022
Traccar server version 5.2 is availale for download.
Last week we released verion 5.1, but it had some issues, so we decided to quickly release another version with fixes and improvements. This blog post will include details on all the changes since version 5.0.
Full internal in-memory cache is finally removed. Instead we use a new caching system where only objectes related to the connected devices and users are cached. New version also includes a way to synchronize changes between server instances using multicast, so Traccar can now be scaled hosizontally to support virtually unlimited number of devices. Note that there are still some remaining tasks for scaling to work for all features. For example, commands currently only work if device and user are connected to the same server instance. We are actively working on finishing those tasks.
New features and improvements since version 5.0:
- Device images - you can upload an image per device to display in the popup
- Token API authentication - token can now be used directly for all API calls
- Service admin account - you can specify an admin token in the config file; this can be used for example to recover lost admin access
- Login as another user - admin user now has an option to login as any other user directly from the user list
- Support KML export - new API endpoint to export positions in KML format
- Support CSV export - new API endpoint to export positions in CSV format with all attributes as separate columns
- Support email name - you can now specify a friendly name for email notifications
- LBS location caching - LBS location can now be reused to avoid using API quota when device doesn't move
- Geocoding enabled flag - if geocoding is disabled, we don't display "show address" link
- Request throttling support - an option to throttle API requests per user
- Include IP address in login logs - useful to security audits
- Filter old data - an option to filter old GPS data
- Firebase integration update - we updated Firebase integration and you should use service account instead of an API key now
There is a huge number of Modern app improvements. Many of the new features are only available in the modern app. Here are the notable changes in the Modern app:
- Modern app is now a Progressive Web App
- Device list filtering and sorting
- Custom marker color for devices - for example you can color device based on ignition
- Map view for trips, stops and route reports
- Multiple devices support for the summary report
- An option to change server in the mobile app
- Sounds for web notifications
- Custom report and geofence colors
- Events drawer on the main screen
- Address search on the map
- Links to Google Maps and Street View
- Map compass and scale controls
- Many new map layers and overlays
- Network page with device cell and wifi info
- GPX geofence import
- Computed attributes testing
- Notification channels testing
- Option to hide language on the login screen
- Support for options to hide some UI features
- Configurable altitude units
For more technicaly audience, here are some important development related improvements.
- Modern app is now migrated to the MUI 5
- Traccar server is fully refactored to use dependency injection instead of a global context
- Added GitHub action to generate installers
- Added GitHub action to update localization
There are also a lot of smaller fixes and improvements, especially around the Modern web app. Please try it and let us know what you think.
If you want to receive Traccar project news and updates please subscribe to our newsletter.
Discuss it on the forum.