Where to purchase GL300 OR Similar Spytec Gps devices

Jack3 years ago

Hi everyone,

Where is everyone purchasing GPS Devices similar to the gl300/spytec gps devices.

If I purchase from Amazon/Spytec then they require a Queclink Cable and needs to be reconfigured to use on my own server?

Or can I purchase these in bulk or somewhere I can get the proper cables and firmware updates?

Thanks

John Williams3 years ago

There are a couple of items on Amazon which state GL300 in the name, but whichever one you buy, you are going to have to configure it to work with your server.

Just be carefull that you do not buy a re-branded one, like, say, Spy****, because it is highly likelly that they will be password potected. Go for an original Queclink branded tracker.

Mmrazz3 years ago

Presuming you're in the US, you'll want to stay away from the GL300 models - the 2G/3G mobile networks they use are all in the process of being decommission, and in somewhere between a few months and a year or so they simply aren't going to work. So what you're likely after are the 4G based equivalents, such as the GL300M.

Most of the GL300M's out there are from companies that provide the tracking services with them for a monthly cost. These devices are generally subsidized by the sellers, and in some form or other locked to the provider they are sold by. You can't simply take them and re-program them to use your own SIM/backend. Historically some people have had success doing this, but it seems that most of the current models are now locked down enough in firmware that it's not possible.

eBay appears to have plenty available, but again most of them are locked - including many of the ones that don't state they are (if there's any branding on them other than Queclink then your starting point should be to presume they are locked, even if it doesn't state that).

The best bet for buying unlocked in the US is assetfleetgps.com who sell both the trackers and the cables needed to program them (although they don't seem to have the newer GL310M nor the Type_C programming cables for them yet). Yes, they are more expensive than Amazon/eBay/etc, but that's because they are not locked and not subsidized by a $20/month usage fee!

Jack3 years ago

Mmrraz, thanks for all that info. I did check assettfleet and noticed a couple versions? Please verify if im correct.

----Queclink GL300M (LTE)... This is still available however its only LTE which is still 3g/2g. So I will want to stay away from these.

----Queclink GL500M (LTE) ... Same as gl300 with more features, 7 year standby, still 3g/2g. This one will be obsolete just as 300 listed above.

----Queclink GL501MG (LTE).. Same as above with bluetooth and wireless charging... Still 3g/2g.

Are there any options on the assettfleet website for 4g asset trackers?

Mmrazz3 years ago

LTE is 4G.

Jack3 years ago

So which trackers on the website should i purchase which will work for fotseeable future?

Mictrack3 years ago

Hi Jack,

If you are looking for a replacement for the GL300.
Mictrack CAT M1 Asset GPS Tracker MT700 is an option and its power consumption is lower than Queclink.

The Standby Power Consumption is less than1.45uA.

Thanks,
Mictrack