GPS tracker configuration without SMS

Angelo5 months ago

Hi,
I have been using a simple gps tracker for a while, to configure the tracker's ip, i need to send a sms to the device with following content:

ip traccar.mytraccar.com 5013
or
ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 5013

it works, but now, the phone company blocks all the incoming and outgoing SMS with a link, the above sms is considered a link, so all got blocked. can anybody recommend
a gps tracker that does not need to send a sms to set the ip address? Thanks

Track-trace5 months ago

Why dont you just use a simcard one time from another provider to set the url?

If you use your own traccar server with a domain name and thus use an url instead of an ip then it does not matter when your server ip changes (because then you just change the ip in domain DNS panel)

Besides that normally any tracker that can be connected to a computer with a cable can set the url / ip manually.

Angelo5 months ago

Thanks for the response, all phone companies in my country blocks sms with clickable url, that make configuring server ip impossible. yes, i use my own domain so no problem for the existing devices, but you can add new devices as those devices has a default server and you need to reset it to your own traccar server

as you mention any tracker that can be linked with a cable can be set manually, that's what I'd like somebody to recommend, thanks

Track-trace5 months ago

Which country are you in anyway? Never heard about blocking urls in sms. Actually i do not know trackers that cant be connected with a cable to a computer. Which brand tracker and model are you using ?

Angelo5 months ago

similar to this one:

https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/pt901-waterproof-gps-tracker-device-22240131362.html

blocking clickable urls in the sms is to curb SMS scams, but it make the configuration of device to use another ip impossible.

Track-trace5 months ago

SO Which country are you in anyway?
What vendor platform does your tracker use ?
Which device model ?

Angelo5 months ago

several countries in south east Asia has blocked sms with links:

Malaysia

Singapore

Philippines

so far I have found two devices that might solve this issue:

TK303 H - it has a USB port that user_config.ini can be updated
T08 - you can send command directly from its default platform so you can change ip and port from web

have not yet personally tested these devices

Richard Acosta4 months ago

Speak to the phone company and ask to allow specific IPs or URLs specifically on your service/s. They should not have an issue with that.
Otherwise they are blocking progress. (IoT)

Angelo4 months ago

I did, but answer is no.

Track-trace4 months ago

Then buy trackers which can be programmed through cable, Bluetooth or Wifi. There are plenty.

Angelo4 months ago

that was my initial question:

can anybody recommend
a gps tracker that does not need to send a sms to set the ip address? Thanks

Richard Acosta4 months ago

Anyone with an internal usb port. The problem is, the same model may ahve it on some versioons or not have it on some others. The only way to know is to ckeck before buying.