Recommended devices?

André Byström6 years ago

Hi!

Can you guys recommend a tracker/brand that works well with Traccar? We have tried some from China but we are not satisfied.

Thanks

kaykor6 years ago

André, Have you searched the forum? This question gets asked a lot.

What are your needs? Live tracking, asset tracking, 2G, 3G, 4G, personal tracker vehicle tracker or asset tracker. Are you supplying constant voltage or can the tracker be recharged? Short battery life, medium, or Long battery life?
OBD, small discreet or large for battery storage. Is it to be carried, permanently mounted, temporally mounted or plug in.

TopTen OBD works with traccar but not all vehicles.
Keelin personal Tracker 3g tracker works well for my needs.

But then again there is a list of trackers that work with traccar under Devices at the top menu bar.

visiondrive6 years ago

We use Teltonika FM3612 / FM3622 and Istartek VT600 and all work very well. But as KayKor mentions it depends on what your assets are in order to make an informed decision.

Howard6 years ago

Can anyone suggest a popular device with OBD II, 3G or 4G Communication that I can purchase from China Alibaba?

André Byström6 years ago

I am trying out TK208 right now with RFID and it is working okay. I am using only 3G and 2G. What country are you active?

visiondrive6 years ago

I am testing the 4G ODB MP90 from Mictrack and it works well.

Note it does not report vehicle data and uses the OBD port for a power supply source only. https://www.mictrack.com/product/4g-obd-tracker/

Howard6 years ago

André Byström , thanks, I think TK208 model is good. I am from Taiwan, and we do not have 2G anymore.
visiondrive , MP90 is good too. Let me order one as well.

If i have both samples, instruction how to put them on Traccar?

visiondrive6 years ago

MP90 and Traccar is simple - port 5030 - the hardest part with most devices is sending the configuration updates to them for APNm server address and port.

Howard6 years ago
kaykor6 years ago

I would not suggest TopTen TK228, or any variant of this OBD. In my experience Dodge Trucks dashlights were dimly lit and drained battery of truck when off. If vehicle was not driven each day than the OBD would drain the battery in fairly short order in all vehicles. All 7 of my OBD's are pulled from the vehicles and are not being used.

Also the RFID was a pain, one user pulled his OBD because of the constant beeping.

André Byström6 years ago

Im trying the TK208 now and until now im very happy about everything. Beeping? RFID is working perfect but thanks for the information. I am very interested in the TK228 as this device can report gasolin consumption. I will ask about the battery drain. I will not risk getting into such problems.

visiondrive6 years ago

Very true kaykor re power usage - the fact the OBD remains live in some vehicles means just that in that the device will continue to draw power.

steve3 years ago

I am looking for a recommendation that would be install permanently into a vehicle. It would have a GPS antenna available. It would have a GSM/4G antenna available. It would use Verizon or could use AT&T. I assume this would use cellular data and not SMS to report back to the Traccar Server. No OBD needed. Voltage would be available while driving the vehicle. At least 4G is needed. No 2G is available. This would be installed in the US. Wired to the vehicles battery, again used only while driving hooked up via the ignition switch to turn on/off. TIA