Looking for small, self-contained GPS transmitter

A Guy Named Jim6 years ago

Hi,

I work for a bus operator who owns busses in several states. We hope to find an inexpensive (in case it gets lost, no biggie) GPS transmitter that can be mailed/shipped from location to location, placed in different busses every day (no installation).

I"m imagining something that would be like on a key chain or a simple "Here, place this on your dashboard today, Larry, while you're on your shift. Bring it back the the office when you're done with your shift" kind of simple device. ( Larry is the driver, in my story.)

Any devices like that you know of? I've been googling for days and haven't seen quite what I have in mind. Maybe it doesn't exist....but I bet it can be made in China cheaply. I'm not sure where to begin with that.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Jim

nejck6 years ago

I’d suggest you to look at different OBD trackers... port should be in every vehicle.. and it’s easy to plug in.

Good idea @nejck, thank you.

Some bus owners may have their own GPS tracker, possibly occupying the port, but we can't get or can't use their data, which is why we want our own.

Is the challenge having power? I'm surprised this isn't a thing already -- super easy, small, portable GPS tracker sending position data (((somehow))) to a central server somewhere.

So many products are "close", but they are way more expensive than I would have expected --- especially combined with a SIM card plan from AT&T or something like that.

Thanks again!

Anton Tananaev6 years ago

There are plenty of standalone battery-powered devices or devices that can be powered from cigarette lighter socket.

Thanks @Anton - true, I see them. But they are so expensive. It surprises me that there isn't a super dumb-simple battery powered GPS transmitter no more expensive than a gps-enabled cheap burner phone or gps-enabled Raspberry Pi

Am I way off base thinking these devices could be made cheaply and sold at like $20 price-point? It's possible my expectations are just way too high. It wouldn't be the first time I was told that ;-)

There are plenty of Chinese devices that sell at $20 price point.

You know, I just found something on -- of all places -- Walmart's site.

I swear I've been searching for these kinds of things.....

I found this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-in-1-Real-Time-GPS-Tracker-GSM-GPRS-Tracking-Device-Car-Charger-with-USB-Port/195875332

When it comes to finding Chinese devices .... where to look? Google wasn't useful at first, too much info. Alibaba maybe? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for tolerating my, probably annoying, questions!

Device from the link seems to use SMS messages to report data, so it won't work with Traccar. You can search for devices on Amazon, eBay and AliExpress. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/ABLEGRID-RealTime-Tracker-Vehicle-Tracking/dp/B01535CSCE/

It's funny, i just found this thread speaking about this same product. https://www.traccar.org/forums/topic/is-this-chinese-gsm-gps-usb-car-charger-tracker-supported-easyway/

I agree with the poster .. . thank you, this forum is awesome. You're really responsive and helpful.

For the first time, instead of feeling like I'm getting ever further away from my goal and about to give up, instead I feel like I'm getting closer.

Thank you!