Android versus GPS cheap Device

chrisc0v0c9 years ago

Hi Mate,

Credit to the app, it seems to work great and a valid solution.

I am testing the app with an Android client (old HTC HD2 with custom skinny Lollipop version) and it works fine except it would be nice if the device could be set to instead from having a "scheduled" update time which I understand you are working on, but instead/also a DO NOT transmit identical/duplicate co-ordinate function, let me explain why.

I want to stick the old handset in a van to track it, it will be connected to the vans battery permanently so it battery life isn't an issue, but I would like to save data bandwidth by not transmitting data when the van is constantly parked overnight for example.

In addition a better solution would be to somehow use the accelerometer OR gyroscope, so that a get GPS and transmit only happens when the vehicle is in motion, is there a way to implement these into the source code?

Also in my particular application would I be better off using a cheapie Chinese GPS tracker?

I have two brand new unused CCTR-620 but I fail to see how it would communicate with the server as my understanding is the device only transmits when a SMS request is transmitted to the device?

Is there a good GPS device that would tick all my boxes? And transmit periodically, if there is then I could connect it to the car power that is only on with the car on and fit a relay to disable the device battery too to ensure only transmit happens only when the van is on?

Any thoughts?

Anton Tananaev9 years ago

Hi,

Scheduled updates - I plan to implement Android actions, so you would be able to use third party application to schedule Traccar Client service start and stop.

Not transmitting same coordinates - it's also in plans. I want to implement reporting by distance or even smarter option.

As for CCTR-620, it should be possible to configure it with Traccar. Correct port is 5013 as far as I know. Unfortunately I don't have any information on how to configure the device.

I think the problem with Android phone might be stability, but if you are not planning to use many of them and you would have access to reboot the phone if something goes wrong, then it should be fine.

davejh6 years ago

Not transmitting same coordinates would be a good feature. I wondering if I could do a temporary fix for that by running a php script with cron that deletes the oldest duplicate coordinates from the db