Sending commands to configure device via telnet

db6 years ago

Evening all,

Ive just got a TKStar device to have a play around with and being a bit of a geek I want to interface with it via telnet (Added bonus that this will save me money on SMS)

I assume that as I can get it to send data to a remote host by supplying the device with an IP and Port number that I can also communicate with it via a similar mechanism?

Im assuming Ill be able to telnet to its IP address and a specific port and start issuing commands to it?

Anton Tananaev6 years ago

I haven't heard of any GPS tracking device that supports telnet. Device is not a server, so it doesn't usually listen for any connections. What you are talking about in the second sentence, is device sending data to the server (IP and port), not the other way around.

db6 years ago

Yeah, I understand that, but in the docs I found for the watch protocol it reads like the "platform" can send data to the device - Maybe Im misreading it, the broken english doesnt help!

Specifically what Im looking at is this :

2.Center number settings.
The platform sending:
[CSYYYYYYYYYYLENCENTER,center number]
Example:[SG
88000000150012CENTER,00000000000]
The terminal reply:
[CSYYYYYYYYYYLENCENTER]
Example:[SG
88000000150006CENTER]
Instruction:Set the center number ,and send SMS commands by phone number

Before that the document is talking about "the device sending" then it switches to talking about "the platform sending" and as with the above it seems to suggest that the platform is sending configuration data to the device?

Maybe Im misreading it - If I set up a server here and point the device at it, could I respond to the device sending me coordinates with an instruction to turn off the shock alarm, or go to sleep - or as above, change the phone number?

Thanks for the help.

You can send commands back to the device through the same connection that device reports data to the server, but that's not telnet.

db6 years ago

Yeah, I realise thats not telnet but if it works Ill make do! - I was hoping that I could initiate the connection via telnet or some other mechanism.

So just to get this right, I have to wait for the device to initiate a connection (Say to send location data) and then I can respond with a command to do something - (Like change the phone number from the example above, or instruct it to increase the frequency that it sends its data)?

But I have to wait for the device to initiate the connection? So if I have a TCP listener set up, get the location data and respond with some instruction - it should work?

Traccar already supports commands. You don't need to implement anything yourself.

db6 years ago

It was just out of interest, wondered how/if I could use the connection to send config to the device without the app..

Looks like the answer is yes, but not as easily as I thought so probably best just to let the app handle it!

Thanks!

Hey, looks like your protocol for your device is "watch protocol"? If it is, you can send this commands through SMS...

db6 years ago

Yeah I know I can send it commands via SMS, it was just out of interest wondered if there was another way to get info to it... It's got an IP so I thought there might be a way to send data to it.