want a feedback about luggage GPS tracker

David Smith4 years ago

Anybody know the luggage GPS tracker MARKET? And if you want to travel,can you want to use it?
I have a luggage GPS tracker GPT15,but i found that less people to use luggage GPS tracker,is it real condition?

treblig4 years ago

Question: do you worry about your luggage or luggage content ?
Thieves don't care about your luggage, they steal whatever they please inside it and leave the luggage behind.
Unless you care for your CK underwear, luggage trackers are useless : your camera, phone, shaver, etc. will long be gone!
And what if you cross borders ? Will your SIM work in another country ?
If you ask me, I don't care about a luggage tracker and it's a false "good idea".

Anton Tananaev4 years ago

That's pretty negative response. At least the SIM card problem is easily solvable. There are plenty of special IoT SIM cards that works internationally.

treblig4 years ago

Hi Anton,

It was an argued (or so I believed) negative response. I didn't just write "it's crap!" as you would so often find on social media. You'll note too that, within the two months of the OP question (want to use it ?), nobody came saying it's a wonderful idea. Whether that's a lead that it is or it's not, I leave that as an exercise to the reader.

OK, you solved the SIM issue. In a mass-market, who knows about special IoT SIMs ? Start with me : I don't (agreed, I'm not necessarily a reference). Do they fit any tracker replacing "normal" SIMs (the OP tracker is a conventional 2G one) ? At what cost ? Daily, monthly, yearly subscriptions ?

I could have raised other hardware issues like the battery capacity. How long does it work on a charge ? If one uses the tracker once or twice a year how long will the Li-Ion survive with average Joe who does not trickle charge it ? Or how does one conceal the luggage tracker so the would-be thief does not see it yet leaving the tracker operational ? Quid of metallic or metal-coated suitcase ?

In most average situations (i.e. infrequent flying travelers like myself, say 1 or 2 trips a year) we don't have much stolen luggage problems but stolen items in luggage or misplaced luggage. Both occurred (again) recently to me.

• The misplaced luggage (last time in 2016) was delivered to my door by the airline the next day. Tracker or not would have made no difference. Actually, in case of misplaced luggage, redundancy of identification on the luggage is by far superior to a tracker as it doesn't rely on a small battery. Airline/Train stickers are too easily stripped off the luggage.
  • The (in my case, tentative) stolen items happened at the destination airport, last June, where I found my luggage opened (additional strap removed, broken lock, suitcase opened) near the delivery belt. I had zero valuables so no damage but the lock. Tracker or not would have made no difference.

So OK, there are stolen luggage like there are stolen bags, wallets, smartphones, etc. Not sure if you ever tried to get a stolen smartphone back even tracked very precisely but unless you're the son of some minister or major police officer you're not going to raise the attention of anyone (even more so in a foreign country where you don't speak the language). But for the sake of the discussion, let's assume someone helps you recover your luggage. Unless the robber is a total idiot, the odds are you recover the luggage alone (possibly vandalized) not its valuable contents (if any). Same happens with stolen bags and wallets. Nearest bins or gutters are good candidates to find the empty bag/wallet but cash, credit cards, IDs, check books, etc. are quickly and long gone.
I could bring scenarii where the stolen luggage is put in the thief car boot, in the toilets at the airport or train station, in an underground car park, etc. where the tracker would track nothing while leaving the thief enough time to deal with the luggage.

My opinion is it's not worth (I don't value my underwear to the point of paying for a tracker and a SIM :-) ). I don't claim that my opinion is any better than that of someone else however I try to explain it. May be the OP would welcome another well-argued opinion be it pro or con.

Regards

David Smith4 years ago

Treblig!Thank you for reply so patient!I think the goal of luggage GPS tracker is that make you feel peace of mind when you travel a'beblig!Thank you for reply so patient!I think the goal of luggage GPS tracker is that make you feel peace of mind when you travel abroad and travel by air!

the With current security measures, we really do n’t need to worry about the theft of valuable objects,But we need to worry about our personal mistakes, such as forgetting to carry our luggage when leaving somewhere

hairydog4 years ago

I think there are different questions to ask.
Yes, you can hide a tracker in your luggage, and it shoulld work. Certainly within the EU, mobile networks don't charge roaming fees, so it should work in EU countries. However, it may not work in other places, where a thief may choose to take it. Would that matter?
There are issues of battery life, but some trackers have big battery capacity.
It isn't legal to have a switched-on mobile phone in an aircraft, so this would be breaking that rule, possibly endangering the aircraft if the baggage is stored near important flight electronics. Are you not concerned about that?
Personally, my luggage is worth less than a tracker, so this solution is no use for me!

hairydog4 years ago

Yes, IoT "any network" sims are just normal sims and they work normally, but I've stopped using them.
Normal PAYG sims work just as well, and also charge nothing extra for roaming within the EU.