Connecting new GPS device (USB Cable) with Traccar

Anton Tananaev4 years ago

They are probably using LBS location. Traccar also supports it, but it's not enabled on demo servers, so you would need your own server.

Tima4 years ago

Thanks a lot Anton for your message.
I'm still resarching the problem.

The unique selling point of these cables is: GPS.
This is the key message in all offers, images and product descriptions - wherever you find these GPS cables offered in the world wide web.

The seller told me the same:
"These cables don't just work with GSM / LBS - but with GPS as well."

It is therefore difficult for me to believe that these cables should not receive a GPS signal at all - since they show a location in their own Platform: 365gps.com - but just not on Traccar... It is and remains a riddle. :)

Xavier Schreiber4 years ago

A GPS antenna is quite big, and won't probably fit in the cable.
What's advertised by a seller is not exactly what's in the hardware.
For example this cable is advertised with the keyword GPS, and that's wrong
Same for this charger

It is therefore difficult for me to believe that these cables should not receive a GPS signal at all - since they show a location in their own Platform: 365gps.com - but just not on Traccar... It is and remains a riddle. :)

Having a location on a remote web site doesn't mean that it was gathered by the tracker.
A LBS tracker will send the GSM antenna data to 365GPS. The server will compute those date to get an approximate grid (the one you see on the website).
The LBS tracker on it's own has no clue where is actually located.

Did you already get a GPS coordinate when sending the DW command (i mean a real coordinate and not a link) ?

Tima4 years ago

WOW.
Thank you so much, Xavier - for your time you spent - explaining that to me so detailed.
Being new to all of that - I understand all of the technical connections now so much better - because of your help.

And - regarding to your question:
In the screenshot you can see the respond - sending the command: DW - via SMS.

That's all what I've got.
Probably that is not the kind of "real coordinate" you looking for - is it?

Xavier Schreiber4 years ago

The best way to know if you got a gps is to compare a location from the cable tracker with a real gps. Will be more explicit out of city

treblig4 years ago

@Xavier Schreiber : actually GPS antennas of SMD type can be very, very tiny (and not very efficient too...). I've seen 10x4 mm, even 4x2mm (mm not cm) GPS antennas in devices however they had to be in real open space to catch sats. Devices were mostly helpless in cities as "shadows" (signal bouncing on buildings, trees, etc.) would result in the position being off by 50 to 250m (when catching sats...) and jumping all over the place. In some cases the LBS positions were more precise...

@Tima : if you're still in contact with the supplier ask him which GPS chip is in the device (i.e. markings on the GPS chip itself). There are not that many GPS chips suppliers, of which Mediatek and µBlox have a good share of the market.

Tima4 years ago

Hi treblig,
thanks for the good hint.