beginner question - Switzerland GPRS?

bhubert19783 years ago

hi people,
I am not very new to this topic but had a pause from it for around five yours now. But now I am back and I would like to invest in a new tracker system for my car. Now I read that Switzerland and Liechtenstein switched off 2G - so how this work there without GPRS? Sorry I am not really a tech freak but I am searching for a SIM card which works all over Central Europe.
thanks in advance,
bhubert

Anton Tananaev3 years ago

There are a lot of device models that support 3G/4G etc.

bhubert19783 years ago

hi Anton,

yes, thank you very much but my thoughts were about the datatraffic - I am thinking that 3g or 4g traffic will be a lot more than 2g (gprs?) - that is the thing what I meant about tech freak.

you know the reason for my question is that i would like to calculate the data transfer when I am riding my car and get a position update every 30 seconds. so that i can find the best sim card tariff.

thanks in advance, bhubert

Data amount would be the same. Why would it be different? You are transferring the same information.

bhubert19783 years ago

hi Anton,
ok cool, I assumed that gprs was a dataless protocol than 3g or whatever. but if the traffic is the same then cool.
do you have a prefered model for a car and what provider do you use?
thanks bhubert

Well, our official recommendation is this:

https://www.traccar.org/freematics/

bhubert19783 years ago

cool thank you, and what type of module do I need for Europe? and also. does your Australian provider work in Europe (hologram?)

Have you already read information available on Freematics and Hologram websites?

Matthias Hübner3 years ago

Perhaps you prefere a european based company for the sim-card: www.thingsmobile.com
I use Teltonika devices which are very flexible in configuration and usage: https://teltonika-gps.com/products/vehicle-tracking/

John Williams3 years ago

Hi Anton,

Do you know if the Freematics trackers work with the Honda Jazz OBDII. I am particular interested in the fuel level.

Also, do you know if the Hologram Global SIM works with Queclink trackers - like the GL320MG?

John Williams3 years ago

@Matthias Hubner,

Do you know where I can buy a thingsmobile SIM activated without having to give them so much personal data?

Why do they need things like passport number and photo?

@John Williams:

Salut John,

I don't know. Ask them. In the past there where offers on amazon platform.

There are a lot of offers for prepaid iot sim in the internet. Try perhaps: https://www.varia-store.com/de/produkt/104014-trusimglob2-globale-prepaid-sim-karte-f-uuml-r-iot-m2m-500-mb.html

John Williams3 years ago

Thank you for that.

Do you know if the varia sim cards work with Queclink trackers in the UK (and France)?

I have a box full of SIM cards which do not work.

@John Williams:

You're welcome. Unfortunately, I have no experience with Queclink hardware. I haven't bought any Chinese trackers for three years. The quality varies too much. The supply chain is uncertain. No contact person in the event of a fault and unfortunately I don't speak Chinese and can't read it either.

ThingsMobile (TM) works fine in EU and Far East - an acquaintance secured her luggage and herself on a Southeast Asia trip. We secure a boat of a friend in Croatia with the TM card.

SIM cards have an expiry date (best before). For the UK it's all difficult, I have no experience, but since Brexit nothing can be guaranteed, not even consumer rights for a product purchased in the EU. As I live in France, I use free SIM cards from my phone provider (free.fr) for national applications in France. Cross-border things I do with TM. In Germany, cards from O2 and resellers (Aldi-Talk) can be a good alternative, but only usable in the EU.

I do not have experiences with the SIM-card of varia. I think it is bound to Teltonika Hardware and Application. Ask english language hotline: +49.371 3371 6891 They are very friendly.

@ John Williams:

Why do they need things like passport number and photo?

For the purpose of fighting crime, the acquisition of a SIM card in the EU is subject to certain rules.