Traccar howtos

hornyakna year ago

Hi guys again!

I'm completely lost in traccar. Modern UI is the worst what I ever used and I hate it (yes, I know that this is made by Google...). Legacy UI is better, but i try to configure things with no luck. I did not think that I'm a stupid guy, I'm sysadmin and installing, configuring, maintaining and using a lot of different services and softwares... It is not working for me what I expect, did not understand how should it works. I also did not find any documentation or tutorial video or anything (except the base install) about configuring special things, like CAN data, mapped values, notifications and so on...

• the driver identifier i did not see nowhere here in traccar
  • what means if a driver under a device is checked or not?
  • in which format need to enter the identifier value? beginning with 0x or without? Normal order or reverse byte order?
  • i did find find, where can i check can datas in the past
  • i created a geofence just for test, and setup a notification (both web and mail) on leave, nothing happend (and nothing about mail sending in the log) when the car was leaved it
  • i dont know how to configure calculated attributes to get work... i still see IoXX element at the device state
  • i also set a test maintenance for 20km, nothing happend

Now these are in my head, but there is many small things... :(
Can you recommend me somebody some text or video tutorial?

Turbovixa year ago

Hello hornyakn, let's go, I'll try to help you with what I can. First, let's go through the notifications:

You must first inform Traccar which types of notifications you intend to use; (email, web, traccar, telegam), this can be done via UI or directly in the file (traccar.xml) like this: <entry key='notificator.types'>web,mail,telegram,traccar,command</entry>
After that, these options should already appear in: settings + notifications + add (+ sign) + channels.

The second part is to configure the information of your email provider, I also recommend the configuration directly in the traccar.xml file:

<entry key='mail.smtp.port'>587</entry>
<entry key='mail.smtp.starttls.enable'>true</entry>
<entry key='mail.smtp.host'>smtp.gmail.com</entry>
<entry key='mail.smtp.from'>you_email@gmail.com</entry>
<entry key='mail.smtp.auth'>true</entry>
<entry key='mail.smtp.username'>you_user_name@gmail.com</entry>
<entry key='mail.smtp.password'>you_password</entry>

the third part is to make sure that the ports generally used by email protocols (smtp, imap ... )(587, 465 ...) are open on your VPS.

Remembering that whenever you change the traccar.xml file, you must restart the server.
To finish configure a notification in (settings + notifications + add (+ sign), choose the type of notification and in channels you will choose email, and then click on test channel. This will send a test email to your configured email box previously.

Turbovixa year ago

Regarding Telegram notification, you need to configure the feature in the added traccar.xml file:

<entry key='notificator.telegram.key'>8548956485:AAxJxASxYX6xxTqxRPxxyxIx6xr9x2DxKx4</entry>
<entry key ='notificator.telegram.chatId'>-1001543800267</entry>

You should research how to get Telegram chatId and token and put them in the above configuration.
After again restart the server and configure a new notification in the UI, but this time choose Telegram instead of Email, and then trigger a test message.

Turbovixa year ago

Regarding the geofence notification, once the geofence is created, you need to attach this geofence to the device.
This is done in:
(Settings + devices + first icon before pencil)
once the resources are configured, there is no need to save, just go back or exit.
That's enough for the notifications to work.

Turbovixa year ago

Regarding calculated attributes, once created and tested, you need to attach it to the device.
This is done in:
(Settings + devices + first icon before pencil)
Once the features are configured, there is no need to save, just go back or exit.
That's enough for the notifications to work.

Turbovixa year ago

The other questions I don't use, so I can't help you.
Remembering that there is official documentation, even if it does not cover all features. Traccar evolves quickly, and by the looks of it, everything is done by Anton. So it must not be easy to "code", document, etc.

https://www.traccar.org/documentation/

hornyakna year ago

Thanks for reply.
The SMTP host are set, the default "web,mail" notification is OK for me. I don't care telegram. I'm also sure that the SMTP settings are good. Yes i know that need to restart any service after config change... It is restarted countless times since then.
The cars(devices) in a group, the maintenances, notifications and computed attributes are linked is on this group.

I did not find in any documentation, how can I setup a TLS interface in traccar for secure communication between server and devices?

Turbovixa year ago

Hello, have you tried configuring your email server with a Thunderbird or Outlook client? just to verify if it will connect successfully?, once configured you can verify which are the necessary configurations to be used, and replicate in Traccar.

hornyakna year ago

Turbovix:

• Notification: I figured out what was a problem. I logged in with the admin account, which has no mail address by default, therefore not even try to send an email. But with this comes an other question: only the logged in user got the mail notification? And what was if nobody is logged in? For me is need to send an email to the specified addresses even if nobody is logged in.
  • Geofence: It is working now, thanks.
  • Calculated attributes: there was a syntax-like error, which is quite interesting.... But now this is works too.

Some datas are still not receiving from the client device (FMB140), but i think this is not a traccar problem now.