SIM for Chinese clones

Richard Creera year ago

I've failed to get an M2M SIM (data and SMS only) to work in two Chinese clone trackers - a Coban gps102 and a tk-star tk905. Neither responds to SMS texts whereas they both work perfectly with a Giffgaff SIM.

Having no help from the M2M's tech support, I resorted to reading the manuals and found in the (very) small print for the gps102 that it says it needs voice as well as data and SMS. I can't find that in the tk905 doc.

So I'm thinking that maybe this is the problem. Unfortunate if it is because M2M is so much cheaper.

Anyone know anything about this?

Anton Tananaeva year ago

I don't think voice is required for them to work. Maybe your new SIM just uses a different network that's not compatible for some reason?

Track-trace2a year ago

I would think that you would not need an M2M simcard either..
Just try it with your mobile phone simcard. Then try to call the device. Normally you should be able to notice if the device works (but actually i do not know that tracker).
So if the device rings or answers the call you know that the simcard is working (and if needed you should/could set the apn) for your or the other simcard through sms).

But you should also check since your tracker seems to be 2G if your local network still support that instead of 4g (not all countries do support 2G anymore).

Richard Creera year ago

You are right as usual, Anton. Voice isn't needed except, I guess, if you want to use the devices' spooky listening-in feature.

I know voice isn't needed because I've got it working by configuring the devices via SMS using a phone SIM and then swapping in the M2M. Now it's fine.

@trace-trace2, I don't need M2M per se but I can buy 300Mb M2M data that will last me a year for about 30gbp. A Giffgaff SIM would be 72gbp for a year. A worthwhile saving when you start multiplying up. Mind you, if anyone knows a better deal, please do get in touch!

I have yet to figure out how to get SMS working on the M2M but I have an idea. If I get it all sorted I'll post it here in case someone else has the same grief.

Thanks for your help.

Track-trace2a year ago

Normally SMS doesnt work with m2m cards (at least my experience).

Richard Creera year ago

I guess it depends on the plan - some do, some don't. This one - simHero - does. Or at least it says it does but it is yet to prove it!