DIY Tracking device

NightHunter6 months ago

Hi I'm looking to use traccar with a raspberry pi pico and a gps/gprs unit to create a custom device tracker. this will all be done in rust

i have a few questions though.

what is the recommend protocol to connect to the traccar server with. ideally with a low data usage

i will also be taking a full diagnosis check all the time from the car can bus which will be uploaded when i get home and it connects to wifi. should this be stored in traccar or just use a another database.

does anyone have a public repo with something similar i can look at.

Cheers

Tony Shelver6 months ago

I have integrated trackers where the data is collected in a proprietary system, and post the position data to Traccar via the OSMAnd protocol.

Quite simple: follow the instructions at https://www.traccar.org/osmand/

I also have other data we collect, that is stored / analyzed in a separate DB and application.

Note that you can add other attributes to the given example, so that is another possibility

NightHunter6 months ago

thanks for the info. osmand does look like a easy way to impl traccar. and i think i will go separate as that will allow me more freedom.

if you dont mind me asking half often to u send gps updates. like every second or what.

Tony Shelver6 months ago

We use 30 seconds when the device is moving, as driven by the source system. It's a balance of electric consumption and cell data usage vs more accurate tracking. Our trackers go into sleep mode about 5 minutes after the vehicle stops moving, with a keep alive every few hours.

NightHunter6 months ago

thanks for the help