Developing an application for iOS for real time positioning + traccar

Alvesxvii5 months ago

Hi.

I'm looking forward to develop an application to display real time positions besides the common access to the traccar webpage via desktop, in order to offer an even easier experience to the user.

I already heard that Apple isn't very opened and colaborative with developers. So I'd like to know from people here who already went through this, what should I expect, plus I don't want to monetize the app, creating any kind of transactions inside it, so I also would like to know if in this case the application would be monthly charged.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.

Track-trace5 months ago

Why dont you try traccar app. It works great.

Alvesxvii5 months ago

Indeed it works, but I need some customized whitelabels design for specific costumers.

Cristian5 months ago

in this case you must customize the Traccar Manager application. https://github.com/traccar/traccar-manager-ios

Alvesxvii5 months ago

Great! I'll have a look on it. Thanks

BerndFfm5 months ago

For iOS development you need a mac, a iPhone and a developer subscription (99 $ a year).
You can compile into a beta version and give it with the app testflight to the user.

My iPhone App : https://www.finderwille-frankfurt-main.de/finderwille-einsatz-app/

Greetings Bernd

Alvesxvii5 months ago

Thanks for the information, Bernd!

So let me get this straight... As far as I understood, if I want to launch my own app for iOS, I only need the developer subscription? (as long as I do have Mac to code and iPhone to run tests)? By launching it as a beta version and giving it with testfligt, I wouldn't be charged monthly or anually of any other kind of debt besides the developer subscription because it's a beta version?

Nice app of yours, by the way.

Track-trace5 months ago

You are right, its a one time anual fee. But logicly you need the coding skill to modify/create the app.

Cristian5 months ago

With the developer account you can publish your applications in the App Store without problems, you do not need beta versions or testfligt. What does exist are internal tests that are required as part of the process. Apple will not charge you anything additional to the subscription.

Alvesxvii5 months ago

Oh great guys.

I already heard once that if you run a business where you get profit with the app, Apple receives a percentage of it depending of the model of the business.

As I said, it wouldn't have processing of any kind of transactions through out the app, but once I'll get paid by users from external methods, I was afraid of owing Apple a share somehow.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Cristian5 months ago

the apps that I have published are free, the user does not pay to download them. I do not know how is the issue if you intend to charge any price for downloading your app, maybe another forum participant could clarify that part.

Alvesxvii5 months ago

Oh, I see the difference then..

Great. Let's see if anyone else has something to add to that part, it woul'd be enriching.

Track-trace5 months ago

@Cristian can you show which apps you punlished

@Alvesxvii well you do not need to charge anything for the app. But you could charge customers for a subscription when they add a tracker to your server.

Alvesxvii5 months ago

Yeah, that's what I'm currently doing. I think it's gonna work fine along with the free app.

Cristian5 months ago

Track.trace, I prefer not to do it because in my developer account are the apps I use for my clients with the ip of my servers and an app I developed for a third party. But basically the change consisted of replacing the server url, the app icons and colors. The rest was to configure the push notifications with firebase account and some dependencies that must be installed on the Mac to work.