Better collection of car data from ODB2 - with a tracker device?

petertp4 years ago

So I brought this TK306 GPS, VJOYCAR Tracker. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000068624528.html, which work fine with Traccar. In the description I was promised, if it was supported by the car, e.g. average fuel, remaining fuel etc. I’m using GPS103, and as far as I can see, also from the status sms the fuel info is not collected. I didn’t expect much of this device, so that is fine.

However, I also have a Viecar 4.0 device, for diagnostic purpose – awesome device, that gives me a lot of info from ODB2, including the fuel usage etc.

So from that perspective, I know that my car can output this. I find it quite funny that the diagnostic device, for the price of 1/3 of the tracker, can do this – but such software hasn’t been replicated into the tracker device.

If I should go for a tracker device that does a better job of collecting data from ODB2, which would you suggest?

rogermat4 years ago

im having the same issue as you. tried 3 different brands so far, finding it quite difficult to figure out what unit will report obd data through gprs. My goal is to find the correct km, and current voltage of the 12v battery in the car. My Tk102 and tk103, they report position and vibration alerts, but no data from obd. As well, i know the car reports the values through obd.
Im waiting for device nr 4 with new protocol to arrive, hopefully..better luck this time. I will keep you posted.

petertp3 years ago

Hi Roger. Sounds that you are putting quite an effort in this! Any luck with 4.? What car model + year, do you have?

Thanks