Cheap device with ddns support

mojiwunefela6 years ago

Please, could someone suggest me a cheap device that supports the ddns?

Paul6 years ago

What do you mean by ddns?

I suppose you just want a device that supports a hostname as an endpoint instead of an IP? Many of the joycar ones do.

mojiwunefela6 years ago

DDNS means dynamic dns and yes, I use the ddns to access with an hostname at my homeserver that doesn't have a static public ip but a simple public dynamic ip. Some example of famous DDNS are dyndns and noip.

I have already asked via email to know if the vjoycar support the DDNS and they replied:
"Thanks for your interest in Vjoycar GPS Tracker. Our standard items support IP Address only. For bulk order (MOQ > 100 PCS), we could customize the trackers to support DDNS as well."

Are you sure, Paul, that they support DDNS?

Paul6 years ago

DDNS is the wrong term.

Ask them if they support a DNS hostname (example: gps.mydomain.com) as a tracking service endpoint instead of specifying your server by IP address.

To ask them if the tracker supports DDNS implies you want the tracker to have it's own unique hostname as it's IP changes, that's not the case. The fact it's DDNS is irrelevant, that's between your server and the DDNS provider -- the tracker doesn't care.

You are best testing first though. On the really cheap trackers, I don't trust the code implementation to properly handle IP changes, timeouts, and retries in a timely manner, even though they should.

mojiwunefela6 years ago

Thanks, I'll send them a new email. Have you some vjoycar device? I was interested in the cheap VJOYCAR T12SE1.
I'm also trying to understand if the new Teltonika FMB010 will work with traccar but I'm not able to find any info.

Vjoycar-Eva6 years ago
jheuy6 years ago

@Mojiwunefela i have contacted VjoycarEva as well and i get the same response, that their Vjoycar gps trackers needs an order of MOQ 200pcs or more for them to configure hostnames or ddns in the firmware.

I still however think she is not and none of them are understanding me.

Have you or anyone else bought any VJoy car trackers that can accept hostnames instead of IP's ???

Please someone reply that knows. I have wasted money on buying car trackers that support only static IP's. Very inconvenient when you have dynamic IP in router!

jheuy6 years ago

@Paul do you know which of the VJoy car ones support that?

The issue is that they dont understand what ive been trying to tell them, so that they can atleast tell me WHICH devices actually support hostnames.

mojiwunefela4 years ago

I can confirm that Vjoycar tell me that for hostname I need to do a MOQ 200pcs, so they doesn't support hostname, and every company will do you a custom firmware with a MOQ.