CJ730 (CJ720+ACC) not sleeping

jangrewe4 years ago

Hi, i recently received my CJ730, which is technically a CJ720 with the addition of an ACC lead for ignition detection and was quite eager to set it up.

The basic setup was no problem, but i was always getting "GPRS:0", no matter what i changed and reconfigured or what SIM i used - until i used the port check tool and discovered that the H02 protocol needs UDP (in addition to TCP?) for port 5013 to be open. So if anyone has the same problem of the GPRS LED (green) staying on without blinking, and the "status" always saying "GPRS:0", then check your ports! ;-)

Anyways, so everything seems to be fine, except that the device keeps on sending updates, every 3 minutes, either with ACC connected or without it. I have it configured to sleep until a vibration (or ACC on) happens (with sleep123456 shock and acclt,120), but it just doesn't go to sleep, ever!

status

BAT:6, GPRS:1, GSM:5,GPS:0,ACC:1,oil:0,Power:1,S:0

param1

CJCAR_2020/05/22 15:53,id,7301004216,IP:0.0.0.0:5013,s1,0,pinternet.interkom.de,,,S26traccar.faked.org,S00B00A1,F0333P1

param2

ADM:,SOS1:,SOS2:,movedis:0,maxspd:0,acclt:120,accrt:30,vibtim:300S

I even tried a complete reset via format and begin123456, but that didn't even seem to reset stuff like the APN, only some customized things.
Is there a way to get a complete dump of all the settings/configuration options/commands?
The interval it is currently using, every 3 minutes (180s) is not mentioned in any of the param1/2 results, so that's strange, too.

jangrewe4 years ago

I managed to change the interval for updates while ACC is On by sending run,60, which it confirms with a message telling me "OK!acc on GPRS Reptime: 60S".
Doing the same for when ACC is Off by sending stop,3600 returns ""OK!acc off GPRS Reptime: 360S" - which i'm not sure really is only 360s (6 minutes), or if it is a formatting error and it dropped the last zero - because it just doesn't work. It keeps sending every 3 minutes, not sleep whatsoever.

jangrewe3 years ago

So i bit the bullet and ordered a Micodus MV730, thinking that it's the same device but at least from a "reputable" brand and maybe with a more reliable firmware.

I just received it, popped the SIM in, configured the APN, my Traccar URL and sent sleep123456 shock (no other config), and... that one also continuously reports its position every 3 minutes. Yes, i haven't touched it in over half an hour, so it's not like it didn't get a chance to go to sleep yet.

This is becoming really frustrating, as i'm sure that this will kill my battery over the winter, or even any extended period of time where i don't get to ride my motorcycle.

jangrewe3 years ago

After a lot of back and forth with Micodus (the "manufacturer" of the MV730), it got at least a command that may improve the situation:

pulse,123456,600

They're claiming that the device does sleep, and those updates every 3 minutes are just "heartbeats" to keep the GPRS connection alive. I'd like to differ about that, because that's not what i would call a sleep mode. But either way, that command above should decrease the heartbeat interval to 10 minutes. I guess i could live with a heartbeat every 60 minutes, or even less, so i'll be testing what the highest value for that command is.
But it's still not a proper sleep mode, IMHO.

Lukasss3 years ago

I can confirm having the very same issue with my CJ730 tracker. I also thought about getting another one (could be broken?) but now I am glad I saw your posting first. So I will refrain from That and try to make the best of it. Just hacked in the command you mentioned and it was confirmed by the device. Thanks for your posting!

Off topic: does the power cut off warning work with yours? Mine is never sending an sms with power cut off, nor does it react on any commands I send. I believe the battery is practically dead...

jangrewe3 years ago

Yes, the power cut alarm works fine for me, but i'm getting that in Traccar, not via SMS. I have disabled pretty much all SMS alerts.

Unfortunately that "pulse" command doesn't work as expected. The lowest interval i can get is 5 minutes, and i tried 600/900/3600. Then i also tried with 0, but that makes it send the update every minute.

Lukasss3 years ago

Again, same here. I can replicate and confirm pretty much everything you mentioned in all of the postings above. Heartbeat happens now every 5 minutes... Further increase does not seem possible.
My biggest hurdle with this issue is the power consumption. I intend to hook the GPS tracker up with a vehicle, which stands still for months. And I don't want the tracker to drain the vehicle's battery.

Does anyone know of a GPS tracker, which does a better job in really sleeping / saving power?

jangrewe3 years ago

Yea, same here. During the spring/summer/fall it's probably not an issue, because i'll be riding my bike every other day (if not more often), but during the winter it may be a couple of weeks between rides, and it's especially during that time where i want to know when anything happens to my bike.

I second the question for a device with a proper sleep mode that reacts to vibration, has ACC detection and is powered by 12V.

Lukasss3 years ago

Okay, I invested some more time digging into this topic and found this Traccar thread: https://www.traccar.org/forums/topic/tk905-sleep-mode/

The devices GPT09 and GPT12 are mentioned to have a very, very long standby. Unfortunately, they don't have a 12V supply line. It seems, though, that many devices originate from EELink.

Therefore I went ahead and sent an email to EELink and to a GPS Tracker store at AliExpress, asking for their recommendation on a device with insane standby and 12V supply and internal battery.

As soon as I get some feedback, I will share it here and keep you posted.

jangrewe3 years ago

Thanks, i already bought a GT09 tracker which has ACC, but suffers the same problems otherwise. The *730 devices would in theory be perfect - if they would work the way they're advertised and documented. :-(

br03 years ago

Ребята, трекери lk720, cj720 очень глючные и совсем не доработаные. Используйте команду sleep123456 time что бы уберечь ваш аккумулятор. Трекер будет просыпаться от движения автомобиля.

jangrewe3 years ago

[RU->EN] Guys, trackers lk720, cj720 are very buggy and not at all modified. Use the sleep123456 time command to conserve your battery. The tracker will wake up from vehicle movement.

Thanks br0, i just powered my tracker up again and really only sent "sleep123456 time", and at least after ~8 minutes it went offline - that's a big improval over the "sleep123456 shock", which always stayed online.

I will test some more and keep you updated, especially regarding the difference update rates with ACC on/off.

br03 years ago

I will test some more and keep you updated, especially regarding the difference update rates with ACC on/off.

Hi, jangrewe. What update time do you use while driving?

jangrewe3 years ago

None at the moment, as i haven't installed it into my motorcycle because the sleeping doesn't (didn't) work yet, and i didn't want to drain my battery over the winter, but for the future i'm planning on 10s with ACC on and 60-180s with ACC off.

Right now it seems to sleep fine with just "sleep123456 time" and wakes up when shaken for 2-3 seconds, but: for some reason it doesn't connect to GPRS anymore. Otherwise it would have been finally usable. :-(

br03 years ago

Remember to configure the server timeout in conf. The device does not close the connection to the server and will often have the status unknown (yellow)