Looking for vehicle tracker + router + mobile hotspot (AIO) device

Saro6 years ago

Hi, anyone have a recommendation for a device that does it all? I'm looking for the following features:

1. Vehicle GPS tracker connecting to a Traccar server, of course.
  2. Power source directly from the vehicle's battery with ignition-sensing, or "low power mode" support, e.g. less frequent positioning updates when the vehicle's engine is not running.
  • An additional embedded battery is definitely nice to have but optional.
  1. Router / Firewall with OpenVPN support.
  2. Wireless Access Point ("Hotspot") support to handle 1 to 3 devices in the vehicle (802.11n is good enough)
  3. Support for the following LTE/4G bands: B2 (1900), B3 (1800), B4 (1700/2100), B5 (850), B7 (2600), B12 (700), B17 (700), B30 (2300)
  • Network providers for reference: Bell Canada (primary), AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint
  1. Support for external GPS/GSM/LTE antennas.
  2. (Low priority) Ability to remotely manage 200+ devices through a centralized location, e.g. web portal or TR-069 ACS ( the former preferably without any monthly charges) or at the very least, allow remote SSH access.
  3. Price point: 200 devices @ 250$/ea USD and less (if realistic).

The Teltonika RUT850-GPS is by far the best device that seems to do it all from my research, but it doesn't support all the LTE bands I was hoping for. The Cradlepoint COR IBR600C looks good, but it's way too costly compared to the Teltonika. Are there any other devices out there that can meet my needs?

I've also considered splitting up the devices (mobile LTE router and GPS module separate) but much rather an AIO for the sake of simplicity.

I'm also open to hear/read about DIY solutions, e.g. Arduino/RPi/etc. with a LTE stick, but prefer a solution that's quick to deploy and reliable.