John Williams3 years ago

I am trying to get a Queclink tracker working on 4G/LTE

It works OK on GSM which does not need any settings other than the GPRS APN

But when I try to use LTE, the tracker also needs values for:

• LTE APN
  • LTE Mode
  • APN Athentication Method

Any Queclink experts know the answers.

I am currently using EE but would be happy with the answers for any other network.

John Williams3 years ago

Has anybody seen one of these trackers working on 4G/LTE?

If so, which mobile network, please?

eric3 years ago

I have 10 GV500MA working on 4G. These are on the Vodafone New Zealand network. Checking the EE website it looks like the apn should be "everywhere" no username/password needed. Do you have a mobile phone that can connect to 4G in the location you are trying to get the gps device to work on 4G, could be there is no 4G coverage ?
Last of all is the LTE bands. Check what LTE bands your GPS device can work on and make sure EE also uses the same bands.
What is the exact model of your device

John Williams3 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

I also have a GV500MA. My Vodafone Smart SIM card arrives tomorrow, so I will be able to try with that

With Vodafone, hat value are you using for the LTE Mode?

I will have to do some work to check the 'bands'

eric3 years ago

So these are the bands below for the GV500MA
Cat M1/Cat NB1:
LTE FDD: B1/B2/B3/B4/B5/B8/B12/B13/B18/B19/B20/B25/B28
LTE TDD: B39 (For Cat M1 Only)

These are be bands for EE UK
Frequency Frequency Band Network
800MHz Band 20 4G
1800MHz Band 3 2G & 4G
2100MHz Band 1 3G & 4G
2600MHz Band 7 4G

EE uses bands 1/3/7 which the GV500MA supports, Although it seems 1800Mhz & 2100Mhz are used on both 2G & 4G. I have used a few different Queclink devices most of them 2G/3G devices and they behave (at least in NZ) poorly when being used in a car. Although the GV55 as a example is a 2G/3G device, I always set the network mode to auto, the device can use what ever. However a device can be on 3G and when it does a cell handover it will often drop to 2G and stay on 2G even though the 3G coverage is just as good as the 2G.

Back to the GV500MA these cmds should get it going, the connection method is TCP long connection, I use this so I can send the device cmds from the back end server

AT+GTQSS=gv500,yourapn,,,3,,1,yourserveripadd,5004,,0,,10,0,0,,FFFF$
AT+GTCFG=gv500,,GV500MA,0,0,,,003F,0,0,3FFF,,2,1,300,,0,0,0,000F,0,0,30,FFFF$
AT+GTFRI=gv500,4,0,,1,0000,0000,,30,1000,1000,,0,600,,,,,FFFF$

Also the reboot cmd is good to use
AT+GTRTO=gv500,3,,,,,,FFFF$
And last of all the reset to default in case you feel like it
AT+GTRTO=gv500,4,,,,,,FFFF$

Regarding VFUK smart sim. These devices are by no means smart. So any sim will work in it as long as the sim in it has the coverage needed to work by that provider. I am fortunate that in 1 of my previous jobs i could watch how these things worked/behaved on a mobile network. For these things to work the best i would use a apn that has CGNAT more simply put 1 that uses NAT. All mobile carriers will have this type of APN as the main apn for there customers

Mmrazz2 years ago

In my experience, the Queclink LTE devices will not work in LTE mode with a 'normal' SIM card.

These devices support Cat-M1 and Cat-NB1 LTE, which are low speed/low powered LTE networks designed for IoT devices. Normal SIM cards will generally not work on these networks (although obviously that can vary depending on the provider). If the network supports it you might be able to get them to work in 2G mode with a normal SIM.

I use and highly recommend looking at Hologram.io for SIMs for them.

John Williams2 years ago

As I said in the original post, they work with GSM. (on a choice of networks: EE, Vodaphone and O2)

As you suggest, none of the 'normal SIM cards work with LTE.

My problem now, is trying to find an IoT SIM which is already activated, so it just works out-of-the-box.

Everybody wants you to activate the SIMs before you cxan use them, but they will not work in my 'phone or with my mobile routers.

And one even wants a ludicrous amount of personal information - like passport photographs! What are they dreaming?

I am not signing up for any more until I know I can get them to work.

Mmrazz2 years ago

Hologram will send you a free SIM with no proof of ID. (not just free to get, but free to use - although you do need to pay for postage).

I've not used them, but ThingsMobile IoT SIMs should also work fine and they don't appear to have any ID requirements.