Sinotrack ST-901 connecting every 5 minutes over GPRS

Hermes3 years ago

I am currently investigating a new ST901, configured to connect to my traccar server. Tracking seems to be working, but I would really like to lower data usage/costs.

Out of the box, the device sends data to my traccar server every 5 minutes and I cannot seem to change this to anything higher.

I have tried these commands to raise it to 1 hour:
8090000 3600
8050000 3600
STATIC,0000,3600
FREQ,0000,3600

This is my current RCONF (cut out ID and server ip):

ST-901M8,ID:,UP:8934,U1:,U2:,U3:,MODE:GPRS,DAILY:OFF,POWER ALARM:OFF,ACCSMS:OFF,ACCCALL:OFF,GEO FENCE:OFF,OVER SPEED:OFF,VOICE:ON,SHAKE ALARM:OFF,SLEEP:ON,APN:rh,,,IP:5013,GPRS UPLOAD TIME 1:3600,GPRS UPLOAD TIME 2:3600,TIME ZONE:00

I am a bit hesitant to dump the HEX info I am receiving in my logs.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what command to use to lower the frequency or how I can debug this any further?

Cristian3 years ago

you can contact sinotrack support directly, they will answer all your questions.

did you send the sleep command?
SLEEP0000 10

from sinotrack support I received this answer regarding the SLEEP0000 command, for an ST-902w

"Turn on sleep mode, 0 is off hibernation, 1 represents the sleep mode time, the range is 1-720, the unit is "minutes", the machine is in sleep mode, the machine has not received any command over the set time, then It will automatically turn off the GPS and enter the power saving mode immediately."

the sinotrack equipment that I have communicates to the platform every 10 minutes even with ACC off.

Hermes3 years ago

I contacted support and they keep suggesting to turn off GPRS and use SMS mode for my application. It seems that they don't want to think ahead with me and give me suggestions to lower the data usage/5 minute contact time.

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll test the SLEEP command and see if this is what I'm looking for, SLEEP000 60 for once every hour for example.

Cristian3 years ago

No, if you use sleep0000 60 the gps will wait 1 hour to go into sleep mode. It should be the shortest time possible for example sleep0000 2, with that it waits 2 minutes and goes to sleep.

Hermes3 years ago

Sorry, but I'm confused here. When my device is in SLEEP mode, how does it wake up? It could interesting to use SLEEP 2 and let dthe device sleep, so there is no communication and thus save traffic. But how does the device wake up then? Do you know this?

Cristian3 years ago

your gps is in gprs mode. If it is in sleep mode and the vehicle is turned on (acc on) the gps comes out of sleep mode.

Hermes3 years ago

Ok, and when acc goes off, it waits the timeout set by SLEEP and goes to sleep? Thanks for explaining this!

Cristian3 years ago

8090000 3600
8050000 3600

that doesn't make sense
you are setting both intervals to the same time.

it must be something like this
8050000 20 (with acc on)
8090000 300 (with acc off)

the range for the times is expressed in seconds and goes from 0 to 18.000

When Time = 0 it means to close GPRS. for example if you don't want to report with acc off it would be like this
8090000 0

but as I told you these gps still report every few seconds to the platform, even sending these commands.
However the data consumption is very low, if it is well configured.

Cristian3 years ago

#Ok, and when acc goes off, it waits the timeout set by SLEEP and goes to sleep?#

Yes.

Hermes3 years ago

@Cristian, can you tell me what the minimum data consumption on this unit is? I think I have it configured ok now, but seem to be looking at +-20MB/month

Cristian3 years ago

I have monitored the consumption with a 30mb monthly plan, with the vehicle stopped for 24 hours the consumption of the st-902W is 1%, it would be something like 300kb per day.
I also tried some concox gv20 and GT06 Accurate that use gt06 protocol and are also online constantly, and the consumption is 3 times more than the sinotrack.

Wibblya year ago

Did you ever solve this? I have the same issue where the ST-901 seems to ignore large 805 and 809 settings and sends updates every 5 mins