ST-901L Configuration

Grunt2 years ago

I recently jumped into the the deep end of the Traccar pool. I've stood up my own server and bought a SinoTrack ST-901L. Since these things are little black boxes of enigma, I've got a few questions. I realize the list of devices supported is massive, so unless someone has direct knowledge, I'm ok with generalized/typical GPS tracker behavior.

• Device documentation says it uses port 8090, but the supported devices list says it uses HO2/5013. Is the port typically configurable?
    • I've tried using both 8090 and 5013, but don't see anything on the Traccar server.
  • Is the HO2 protocol UDP or TCP?
  • When configuring the reporting IP on the GPS tracker, is an IP required or can a FQDN be used (Is it able to perform DNS resolution)?
  • When configuring the device in Traccar, I used the device's IMEI as it's identifier, is that correct?
    • How do I determine the proper identifier to use for a device if it's not the IMEI?
  • Are there are logs on the Traccer server that show a device trying to communicate or does it just drop any traffic it doesn't have an identifier setup for?
  • I've verified the tracker is functioning by calling the device and getting a location text back. What would be the next steps in troubleshooting?
Grunt2 years ago

I found the server logs, I found this repeatedly:

WARN: Unknown device - 91xxxxxxx (172.58.43.221)

Can I assume the number starting with 91 is the proper identifier to use?

Grunt2 years ago

Had a few minutes this morning to do some testing. It appears that it will work with name resolution, just gotta figure out why CloudFlare Tunnel is refusing the connection when the tunnel is configured to use TCP.

Grunt2 years ago

Turns out I was wrong, it doesn't appear to be able to perform name resolution. I have a known good working config and tracking data showing up in Traccar when I use IP. As soon as I send a hostname over, data stops coming through, I've even tried restarting the device.

Imzenreally2 years ago

@grunt - i have a couple st-902L's the obd versions and a st-901(something old and only 2g) and both of those support name resolution

8040000 sub.domain.com 5013 - it works fine for my server (leave out http://)

make sure you open port 5013 on your server and router or whatever your port forwarding rule is

when configuring the device in traccar - you'll send RCONF to the device - it will return a bunch of crap - look for ID: -- aka

ST-902/4G,ID:7018969227,PW:0000,U1:,U2:,U3:,MODE:GPRS,DAILY:OFF,POWER ALARM:OFF,ACCSMS:OFF,ACCCALL:OFF,GEO FENCE:OFF,OVER SPEED:OFF,VOICE:ON

where 7018969227 will be your traccar client id

Grunt2 years ago

Ya, I started out full-bore instead of stepping in with my CloudFlare configuration. I've got CloudFlare proxying enabled and CloudFlare Access Tunnels setup so that I don't have any inbound holes in my firewall. However, I think the problem is CloudFlare proxy only works on 80/443, unless I paid for CloudFlare, which I ain't doing.

I've pulled back everything and straight DNS resolution works. I'm gonna reconfigure the tracker to send over 443 and have my firewall port forward to 5013. Once I verify that works, I'll turn the proxy on, then the tunnel and the tunnel can port forward.

Thanks @Imzenreally

Imzenreally2 years ago

oh yeah - i had to disabled cloudflare proxying as well - i'm basically just using the same endpoint i use for my wireguard vpn

let me know if you get it working happily with cloudflare and websockets and all that biz

Grunt2 years ago

I've got an appointment setup on Thursday with a CloudFlare tech rep whose gonna take a look. CloudFlare is one of those rare companies out there with excellent customer service.

Grunt2 years ago

@Imzenreally, had the meeting with an CloudFlare Enterprise rep. We tried a few things but ultimately came up stumped. His only suggestion was that POSSIBLY CloudFlare Spectrum would work, but even then he was skeptical. He said he was gonna take it back to some engineering contacts he has to see what they know or if there was something in the pipeline to get these kinds of devices functional.

Unless I'm missing something, I find it odd they don't just work...I would have thought they're just firing off a regular TCP/IP packet with a simple data payload.

Imzenreally2 years ago

Bummer - I haven't fiddle with cloudflares tunnels for my tracking server - I am tunneling the web gui just fine - but I'm sending tracker data to an untunneled or proxied endpoint - same one I use for my wireguard VPN since I had challenges with that and cloudflare too

Vijaya year ago

Hi @Grunt, I am also on the same boat, trying to find a way to configure ST-901 device via Cloudflare. Can you tell me more on why it couldnt work ? Is there a way to configure TCP traffic in Cloudflare tunnel and did that not work?
btw , name resolution should work fine with this device although when you ask back the config via RCONF, it sends you the <IP Add>:<port no>