Tracking device for small planes

filipb7 years ago

Hello,

I am working on university project, where I'm trying to find the best tracker for use in aviation - in small general aviation planes, like Cessna C172. I have already tested GlobalSat GTR-128/GTR-129 and GlobalSat TR-600G, which is quite reliable.

Does somebody here have any experience with installing trackers to small aircraft? If yes what is the best?

Thank you for your answers,

Filip

arthurnetteler7 years ago

Hello Filip,

I have two long time Fellow Pilots that have installed these small cheap supposed GPS Units (actually LBS Trackers) into their Private Aircraft (Cessna 310 & Cessna 152II). Just double-sided tape to the rear Windows, with a 9V Battery. They are no bigger than a small box of Matches...lol... They worked pretty good for about 5-6 days. Then either the Cell provider stopped supporting the units or something happened to BOTH of them after the same time period? I have bought 3 of them MYSELF for my Company Vans, and they ALSO worked fairly well at Tracking a Road Vehicle, seemed to be accurate to about 150-200 yards on average. But like the other two of the same type, mine both shut also down in a DIFFERENT COUNTRY after 6-7 days. Showing as online but only pointing to the last reported location. You can still contact the units via SMS and get replies, but it is as if they lost the Tracking Signal from the Cell Provider. I have a couple images of what we got on them and of the units themselves. But, I can not figure out how to post pictures on this Forum...haha. I have more information like areas covered and response times...etc, for another time..... https://scontent.fmnl3-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/20614555_1641619979190143_1672959766_n.jpg?oh=9af434f87e1d41c38d9a1668920a8e04&oe=59846D09