Question about upgrade

xplane257 years ago

Hello all,

From what i can see on the upgrzde info link i can see this :

1. Make backup of the database
  2. Save any changes in the config file (if applicable)
  3. Remove old version of Traccar
  4. Install new version of Traccar
  5. Update config file (if applicable)
  6. Start Traccar service

Question : If i understand right, all informations is the the database ? (except the config file where you can see your database access and stuff).

Am i right ?

Anton Tananaev7 years ago

Correct.

hairydog7 years ago

Traccar is an excellent product, but the documentation is really not very helpful.

I love the way that the preceding line in the docs says "Upgrade process is very simple:" then goes on to tell me to back up the database (yes, that's simple) and to "save changes in the config file". Is that simple? I'm not sure.

Does that "save changes..." mean the same as "back up changes in the config file"?
If it does mean the same, why use a different word?
If it means do something different, what different thing should I do?

Then it says to uninstall Traccar. But gives no instructions about how to do this. So it is far from simple!

I found a page that told me to use "opt/traccar/bin/sudo ./traccar remove" but of course that just returns "opt/traccar/bin/sudo: No such file or directory" (there is no such directory)

Please don't tell me it is simple: give me instructions that will make it simple!

I have Traccar 3.10 running on a Debian Jessie server. I want to upgrade to Traccar 3.11. I would like to know how to do it, step by step. Can someone either let me know, or point me to instructions that work?

To host your own server you need to have some level of technical expertise. For a person with at least some IT knowledge all those steps would be trivial.

Database backup process depends on the database engine that you are using. There is plenty of information on the internet on how to backup and restore databases, so I don't see any point of duplicating and maintaining that information on the Traccar website.

Save changes in the config file means that you need to save the lines that you've changed in the original config file, so you can apply those changes to the new config file.

Uninstallation instructions are available in README file and on the Traccar website. Instructions are different for different operating systems. Instead of searching on forum or some unofficial source, I would strongly recommend to stick to official documentation.

hairydog7 years ago

Hi Anton,

Your reply doesn't add much clarity. It would be useful to create good documentation.

To take the points one by one:

I have already agreed that backing up the database is very easy, so your patronising response was unnecessary as well as inappropriate.

The tasks may or may not be "very simple" when you know what to do, but the documentation dos NOT explain with enough clarity.

You still have not understood my point about using the word "Save" when you mean "Back up" or "keep a separate copy". When I changed the config file, I saved it. The new action is to make a backup copy, not to save. The word is simply incorrect in this situation.

The readme file has absolutely no information about uninstalling or installing), although I do agree that it should. It only refers readers to various URLs.

Given that the readme.txt file is included in platform-specific archives, why not give the information in the readme.txt file itself?

Links from README file have "Install" and "Uninstall" sections. Have you even tried opening them?

The only valid complaint I see is the poor choice of wording, but from my previous comment it should be pretty clear what you need to do. You need to re-apply your config changes. That's it.