Any known device that connects to Traccar via DNS instead using IP Address?

Fabio7 years ago

Hello folks,

Are you guys aware about any device model that uses DNS instead IP Address to talk to Traccar?

Cheers,

Fabio7 years ago

PS: Apologies, I supposed to have posted this question under "Others" topic instead.

Anton Tananaev7 years ago

Do you mean domain name? I believe most devices supports it, except maybe for some cheap Chinese models.

Fabio7 years ago

That is correct, domain name. Thanks for answering.

matli7 years ago

The TK206OBD word well with a domain name and an IP:

Example sms command with domain: 803#www.yourdomain.com#5002#
Example sms command with IP: 803#58.61.154.233#5002#

To check your setting send sms command CIP#
This will return either the IP and port or the domain and port you have set.

Full instructions here.
I have two of them installed and it works pretty well.

Cheers,
Chris.

visiondrive7 years ago

Every device that I have worked with can use either Domain Name or IP - Domain Name is much nicer as if you change hosting then there is no need to update the trackers.

I have worked with Tramigo, Istartek and Teltonika units and Domain Name usage is fine.

ak20157 years ago

Mostly device supports either domain or IP. You need to check manual of device.

G.S.6 years ago

I have two TK102 from different cloning agencies.... It took me a while to find out, how they are working with DN. There were two points:

• start your domain name with 'www.'
  • Most of the SMS Messengers on android can NOT handle this. So, you have to test a dozen SMS-Messengers, to find one, which transfers the DN in the correct manner. If it works, you will not see any more the "gprs fail! no ip!"
    Older ones might not work.

I needed this to input my dyndns. My IP is changing daily. It took me some days and 20€ on SMS costs, to find that ... No info on all these chinese info sites about that.

ak20156 years ago

@G.S., why not using any server ? you can choose linode basic server @10$.

G.S.6 years ago

Well, my server is one of any servers ;-) I want to use my own (traccar)-server on a NAS @0€ .

ak20156 years ago

Ok, As i know, No GPS device supports dyndns. You can do one thing

If your device supports TCP command you can call traccar command API to update IP and port of GPS tracker.

G.S.6 years ago

Well, as I wrote, the dyndns address, in my case from 'xyz.synology.me', is accepted in all my TK102 trackers and is working fine now.

Anton Tananaev6 years ago

From client point of view there is no difference between DNS and Dynamic DNS, and most GPS devices do support DNS addresses. There are some very rare Chinese devices that only support IP addresses, but most support both IP addresses and DNS names.

@ak2015, please make sure you know what you are talking about before you comment.

G.S.6 years ago

@Anton Tananaev, I just wanted to contribute my expierences with some simple TK102 trackers. Inputting the DN is not always working with some SMS-Apps on some phones and without 'www.' . At least these cheap trackers have some problems, to transfer the domain names correctly and it is NOT to be solved by blaming the server, nor the APN, it is just the SMS-App in the smartphone....which does not send the correct string.

R.5 years ago

The Sinotrack ST-901 Works fine with any domain name in 804 config, as Synology , now-dns.com or duckdns.
Don't forget to set the port also, and configure your server network to accept data on that port.

Ah, I used the PushBullet (with the Android version installed) to send the SMS configs from PC (PC have also PyushBullet installed). So no weird strings are send to config, as the phone sometime do.

Just tested and wanted to let you know folks, cheers !