Need input to help create Traccar Help/Documentation

kaykor6 years ago

All user's, I need your input to help create Traccar Help/Documentation.

As users we know that Traccar is a great program for our needs, but we also know that some features are buried and we do not know how to make them work. Or we wish there was a feature available not knowing it is.

Traccar is written and designed by a programmer (Anton) and as a program it is rock solid. Great job Anton.

But as an ex-programmer I can tell you documentation is not a priority when there are so many great things that can still be achieved in the program with programming. And yes it is easy and clear for Anton to achieve any use scenario he needs as he knows all the features and how to implement them, and he believes that it is easy and straight forward to do so by anyone.

Well it is not. So as users we need to provide the required documentation, so that we and others will become as knowledgeable about using Traccar as Anton, well probably not but we will be able to find the information we need in one spot.

kaykor6 years ago

So how as the user base are we going to achieve this. In this thread I will post questions and pictures of the area of Traccar that I'm documenting and looking for all responses of what can be achieved in that area and how to use that feature and what does it do and why.

Responses should be in a format that is clearly indicating what that feature it is about.

Example

gear->server->Map Layer 8 Choices plus custom

Carto BaseMaps -> used for... good for... area of world best for...

Open Street Map -> DEFAULT-> used for... good for... area of world best for...

Bing Map Road ->-> used for... good for... area of world best for...

Custom maps are governed by the map distributor and need to be setup like this ...

Provide as much explanation of each feature as you are able to provide, there is no such thing as too little or too much. (in general)

English is the only language I speak and write poorly, so do not apologize about your bad English just share your information.

kaykor6 years ago

What is the The Hot air Balloon Icon: Gets current map state function?

kaykor6 years ago

Can someone explain these attributes to me?

User Attributes that can be set here:

Mail: SMTP SSL Trust:

Mail: SMTP SSL Protocols:

Web: Live Route Length: positive and negative whole numbers

Web Zoom On Select: from 4 to 18

UI: Hide Position Attributes:

abyss6 years ago

All mail configuration parameters described here https://www.traccar.org/configuration-file/

Web: Live Route Length - there is Live Route feature, it shows "tails" after moving devices. You can set how much positions "tail" will be shown. 10 by default.

Web Zoom On Select - when you select device in device panel or position in route report, map is automatically centered. You can set also desired zoom here.

UI: Hide Position Attributes: - you can set comma separated list position attributes here, that will be hidden in State panel

abyss6 years ago

Get Map State function - you can set default coordinates and zoom in user/server preferences. This button fills this preferences with current map coordinates and zoom.

kaykor6 years ago

abyss thank you.

I dont not know why I did not think to look at configuration-file.

The other explanations I learned something, and finished rough draft of gear->user

kaykor6 years ago

I'm continuing and got to GROUPS and realized that I have no idea what the function of groups is other than to group multiple devices into the same category, but why?

What is the purpose of groups?
What can be done with groups?

Anton Tananaev6 years ago

Group is a group of devices. You should be able to do same things as with a single device. The purpose is to simplify configuration if you have many devices.

kaykor6 years ago

A couple of questions. In drivers and groups attributes their is Processing: Copy Attributes; is this the same as what you would enable in the configuration file?
Would you still need to enable this in the configuration file if you where doing it at the device level?
Does this processing.copyAttributes.enable still need to be enabled in the configuration file either way for it to work doing it at the device level only?

Why or what is the benefit to Report: Ignore Odometer?

abyss6 years ago

Processing: Copy Attributes yes it is the same as in config file and yes main switch processing.copyAttributes.enable in configuration file must be enabled to work this feature on any level (device/group/server)

Report: Ignore Odometer by default traccar uses odometer attribute to calculate distances for reports if it is reported by device, but some devices report it incorrectly. If this attribute is set, traccar will use automatically calculated attribute totalDistance for that.

kaykor6 years ago

Thanks abyss, I was looking at Speed Limit a configuration that can be set at multiple levels and was wondering what precedent or level does each overwrite the other. eg: I set the server at 100km, the group at 110km, and the device at 120km. Do all three get reported at > 120

I'm going to hypothesize:
@100km the admin gets notified
@110km the admin, and the user who created the group get notified
@120km the admin, and the user who entered the device, and if it belongs to a group the user who created the group, but unless the user of the device is also a traccar logon user they do not receive notification.

Is this correct?

kaykor6 years ago

device.maintenanceStart zero if omitted, if I wanted to use a used device that already has total distance I would enter total distant field value, or reset it, correct?
device.maintenanceInterval

Is the distance entered into both fields still meters?

kaykor6 years ago

DRIVERS, no idea what this is for other than future enhancement.

Traccar GPS tracking server version 3.14 is available for download.

Biggest new feature in this release is support for drivers. Interface is very similar to geofences. You can create drivers with unique ids and link them to groups and devices. Driver information will show in various reports. There is also a new notification for driver change event.

So you can enter a name and an id. (From a business perspective you probably want all driver details)
You can assign attribute, but what can be assigned here?
"There is also a new notification for driver change event." But how do you let traccar know the driver changed?

Anton Tananaev6 years ago

I suggest you do some research before asking questions. Many GPS tracking devices support RFID and other methods for driver identification. It is a major feature that has been requested many times.