Correct usage of geocoding in 3.15

socstur6 years ago

Hi Guys,
I'm getting some empty addresses when I do trips report in 3.15. I have 'geocoder.onRequest' and 'geocoder.ignorePositions' both set to "true"; please see full geocode configs below. Do I have the right configs or is there a solution to the empty addresses problem.

<entry key='geocoder.enable'>true</entry>
    <entry key='geocoder.type'>google</entry>
    <entry key='geocoder.processInvalidPositions'>false</entry>
    <entry key='geocoder.onRequest'>true</entry>
    <entry key='geocoder.ignorePositions'>true</entry>
Anton Tananaev6 years ago

Looks right to me, but empty addresses might be just because geocoding provider hasn't returned anything.

socstur6 years ago

Any plans to resolve this issue? I'm doing a simple trip report that contains just one trip, but sometimes it returns both start and stop addresses and other times it returns one address and the other is missing.

From the github discussion on this implementation I see you guys have enabled ondemand geocoding for events notification. If this is enabled for moving and stopping events can these address be reused during reporting time?

There is no issue in Traccar. Your issue is with Google.

socstur6 years ago

You are probably right, I see "2017-12-22 10:55:42 WARN: Empty address" in my log. It might be hitting the limit on request frequency when doing a report.

The ondemand geocoding fixed the issue of wasting geocoding quotas but I think another issue is created here with this solution. I can see hitting the request frequency limit easily especially with a large report. From my understating of the google geocoding service it is much easier to increase request quota than to increase the limit on request frequency.

Will it be possible to geocode for stopping and moving events, as its done for notifications, so it can be used later for trip and stop reports?
Another solution, maybe not the best, will be to retry the geocoding for empty addresses.

You have already configured exactly that.

socstur6 years ago

Hi Anton.... I believe the current implementation requests for the address at the time of the trip/stops report.