User email is Case Sensitive

Abel6 years ago

Hi There,

I've been having problems with user register, because the email is Case Sensitive, there's a way to change that on the DB or somewhere else?

I couldn't find anyone with same problem throughout the forum!

Thanks in advance.

Anton Tananaev6 years ago

Usually strings are not case-sensitive in databases, so there must be some special collation configuration in your database which makes comparison case-sensitive. I would recommend studying resource related to your database. It's not really a Traccar server issue.

Abel6 years ago

I didn't modify anything, It's 3.15 recent installation...

Are you using default H2 database?

Abel6 years ago

Yes!

H2 seems to be case-sensitive, but you shouldn't use it in production. You should use a fully-featured database (e.g. MySQL).

Abel6 years ago

Great, so I will continue testing with MySQL!

Thank you so much!

Sean Hay6 years ago

Hi

QUESTION: How do I make the user email address/username case insensitive (NON Case Sensitive) so that users do not land up with multiple profiles of the same email address or unable to login?

I have installed the latest Traccar version 4.0. (I am not a programmer, technical yes)
Server: Centos7.5 with WHH/Cpanel v74.0.4 and MySQL

Scenario:

1. User uses their mobile phone (Tracccar Android Manager), when registering their email / username the phone automatically puts a capital letter on the first letter of their email. They add a few devices etc.
  2. User now wants to log in using the server web interface. They type their username/email with a small first letter to login. And cannot login. User now tries to register again, but with a small first letter on the username/email and same password. Now a second user/email is created both the same email address but one with a capital first letter on the front and one with a small first letter on the front. The user now tries to create their devices but cannot as they are already on the other profile. And possibly creates a few new devices that don't exist on the other profile.
  3. Use the uses the app on their mobile phone....
  4. Users then get extremely annoyed not knowing they have 2 profiles with the same email address. (even worse if they register again with a capital elsewhere in their email, they will then have 3 profile but with the same email address)

NOTE: "Forgot Password" > enter email address > send username and password to user. (Would also be great and solve some admin overhead)

QUESTION: How do I make the user email address/username case insensitive (NON Case Sensitive) so that users do not land up with multiple profiles of the same email address or unable to login?

Thank you in advance.
Sean