noob question about event capturing and reacting

Can I use 'manager' to have an event (that I can catch like sending an sms or calling an external program) in the server if any of the registered devices moves and start tracing the path and be able to turn this event on or off?

I don't mean a geofence (since this has to be set), but, say, a movement from the current position (defined as when the engine is turned off) over more than 20m within one minute e.g.

I can set a geofence, but that's useless in this case. I don't see how I can set the event/action active when the engine off event occurs. I don't see at the moment how I can act on any event as soon as it happens.

What docs am I missing and are there examples?

Furthermore. I set smtp in the default.xml but that seems to be global. the info items for sms also global, not by device are enormous and I hoped that it is enough to have the server-uri (like google voice's or t-mobile/sprint's etc.), the userid and pw of the sender, the originating phone number and the receiving phone number, but there is an enormous amount of params, that I don't know and cannot set(not being a telecomm pro).

If any of my peers here with way more experience has a few hints how to program actions to events. There seems to be a way to access a second server. If there could be a get or put to a node.js instance with relevant info like

1. dev.Id,
  2. timestamp,
  3. engine status,
  4. x,
  5. y,
  6. z coord

... if any movement is detected and the option to disable sending data if the engine is on (ignition on)

This is obviously supposed a theft detection/follow system for a group of desirable vehicles that the woners don't want to be taken and I am sure that others have solved the problem of "TMI sent vs. not-catching-on" in a similar or even better way.

okay. I can send an email now. At least with 'test'.

I cannot however -yet- find an addressee to send to.

You can send via gmail + google voice an sms by sending an email. That would solve my sms issue. I would send an email on an event that goes via google voice to a target phone also as an sms if the sender owns a GV account.

How to get it to zip is a little work, but simple. You send the recipient via GV interface an sms and copy the from-address on the adressee's site for later use.

Syntax: <your gv telnr>.<recipients gv telnr>.<10 char CRC from gv>@txt.voice.google.com.
See also: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/voice/RWxxZ1OWxoE

My problem is now that I cannot use this 'strange' email address as the sender's address since it is the recipient's address.The sender's address has to be my gmail uid/pw combination and I don't see where I can set the recipient's email address that way. It would be set only once, on creation but I see no field for that.

Hints? Ideas? Experiences?

Next: Browsing through the forum, it seems as if one can fake events to trigger reactions. How can I do that? like engine on/off, movement.

Anton Tananaev6 years ago

Each user has an email address. In fact, you use it to login into the system.

Yes, I get that and I use this data as the sender's data but I want to send it to the owner of the vehicle's email address or even better send them an sms.

There is now my problem: Sender (I) and recipient(owner) are different and I see momentarily no way to send an email to someone other than myself.

Just create an account for an owner of the vehicle and assign his email and/or phone number.

Oh, I see!

I define the sender's smtp data (uid/pw) in the default.xml and the recipient's is the account email address used to log in. And if an event is triggered by a device -registered to that user- the user's email address is used as the 'To:' address. Well designed!

Things are much clearer now.

Thank you, Антон!

Yes, that's exactly how it works.