Is it possible to deploy a mobile client pre-configured or send configuration file?

Ovidiu6 years ago

i.e. say I want my mom to use the app, she downloads it but is unable to configure it. Is there an option of somehow deploying a pre-configured version so she does not need to input all the options + url + user/pass etc. ?
Or maybe another way, she installs traccar from the play store then I send her a config file which she opens on her phone and the traccar client imports the right settings?

Anton Tananaev6 years ago

You can change preferences and compile your custom version.

Client only requires URL, which any smartphone user should be able to enter.

Ovidiu6 years ago

Ok, I see. Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll set it up for her.

Basically atm things work like this: mom installs the app, sets the device identifier I gave her (which I have previously configured in my traccar management server) she then sets the URL, the location accuracy, Frequency, Distance and Angle and starts the app.

I understand its not something everyone needs or wants I just thought I'd ask if there was an option do deploy the app with all these settings or i.e. as some apps do, offer the option to generate a QR code when setting up a device on the server which I can scan and email to mom so she can scan it with the client app.

But I understand this is just wishful thinking at the moment :-)

Anton Tananaev6 years ago

I would recommend to create a feature request on GitHub. I like an idea of having URL or even QR code to pre-configure Traccar Client.

Ovidiu6 years ago

Done and thanks for your fast reponse. Here is the link: https://github.com/traccar/traccar-client-android/issues/355

davejh6 years ago

just compile a custom apk for your mum. with URL. location accuracy, Frequency, Distance, Angle and identifier. you can change all those values in android studio.

dagobar4 years ago

Hello
I can see the issue 355 has been closed and is it now available in the master branch ?
I would like to use it.
Thanks.

P.S. @Ovidiu are you located in Bucharest ?

Ovidiu4 years ago

@dagobar: no, I'm located in Germany for a while now

andsdouga year ago

Another reason to implement configuration via QR code is the convenience for users who need to set up multiple devices with the same settings. With the option to generate a QR code with the desired configurations, users can simply scan the code with their devices and all parameters will be automatically configured without the need to manually enter information on each individual device. This saves time and effort for users and reduces the likelihood of configuration errors. Furthermore, this functionality has the potential to attract more users to Traccar due to its user-friendly setup process.