One Map API key per user account?

Nick5 years ago

Hi Anton and Traccar team,
I've been using both Openstreet maps and Google maps tile servers. With Google maps specifically, since is it not free, would it be possible to assign a new Google maps API key per new user or per Group? This will reduce the free limit throttling

I don't know if anybody has done on for Traccar or is it possible with version 4.2, but what I know is that may commercial players in Asia and Eastern Europe are already doing this. Imagine that we could add the API key and Tile server URL in add user section as in the image attached.

alt text

Anton Tananaev5 years ago

As far as I know, you can't use free Google Maps for tracking. Either way you need license.

Nick5 years ago

Yes Anton, I meant the paid Google Maps API key, but using it within free limits.

Maybe it changed, but before you needed premium license if you use it for tracking.

Nick5 years ago

Sorry Anton, I think you misunderstood.
I'm talking about premium API license, but having one license per user/group, so is there a way to achieve that?

I still don't understand. There is no free premium license.

Ernesto Vallejo5 years ago

I believe that what he means is that instead of having a server-wide api key, to have a per user/group api key regardless license type.

I understand what he wants, but it just doesn't make any sense to me. Is the idea that each individual user would buy own premium license?

Nick5 years ago

Correct Ernesto Vallejo and Anton. I was not best able to explain this in simple words.

Each user or group company will be able to use their own API key - (either from their existing tracking software or new or server-wide), but if Traccar is able to switch API keys per user/group, that ability would mean a lot. We could also identify per user/group billing or have special Google map features(Road/Route-realted) for some users and not have those features for other users, who require just basic tracking(Asset-tracking-only). The idea also is that some user/groups can be assigned OSM map tiles(Leaflet or Citymaps OSM), while some may have Google maps or Bing maps API key.
If this is achievable from some small configuration change, then please let me know how. If not, then I can raise a github feature request.

There are no user groups. We only have device groups. The explanation still doesn't make sense. It sounds like you want Google to be available only for some users, but why would you need multiple Google keys?