Quick question about Java install on Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit

Adrian Hodgson5 years ago

Doing a new install of Traccar server 4.2 on a better spec device, I have an option of :

apt install openjdk-11-jre-headless
apt install openjdk-8-jre-headless
apt install openjdk-9-jre-headless

it would have been
apt install openjdk-10-jre-headless prior to September
apt install openjdk-8-jre-headless
apt install openjdk-9-jre-headless

It was Java 8 on previous machine with Ubuntu 16.04, A search on here brought up a 10 month old query, is there any preference for installation now?

Adrian

Anton Tananaev5 years ago

You don't need to install Java if you are using Traccar 4.2.

Thanks for the fast reply

Does the 64 bit install also install java?, I thought it was a requirement, my mistake as I had to have it pre-installed when I did a manual install on 32 bit machine and run it as a service.

I will be loading this machine with mysql and starting the database with that from the outset.

This is my learning aid as it serves a purpose.

Adrian

Anton Tananaev5 years ago

Not sure what you mean by "also". Traccar installer comes with Java pre-packaged.

It was an issue I had with the previous install, I am a novice and it took a while for me to understand why it would not run as a service and what you meant by the following:

From Anton

You need to provide correct path to Java. There is no java executable under /opt/traccar. You have to use something like:

/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0/bin/java

... or whatever the correct path is.

So that eventually got me to this :

[Unit]
Description=traccar
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
WorkingDirectory=/opt/traccar
ExecStart=/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.8.0/bin/java -jar tracker-server.jar conf/traccar.xml
SyslogIdentifier=traccar
SuccessExitStatus=143

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

As said, this was on 32 bit machine after doing a manual install. I am just starting to install operating system, mysql and apache2 for the secure web pages at the moment, so thought it best to ask before I install traccar, but I will be doing the supplied 64 bit installer this time and also running as a non root user.

Thanks

Adrian