Redundancy Solution for Traccar server

Dear Concern,

Good Day.

We need to load balance the server running traccar application so that there can be redundancy. If one server fails our other load balanced server should be able to support the added devices.

Appreciate to let me know whether is it possible; if possible please let us know the process.

Thank you

BR
Rabiul

Anton Tananaev5 years ago

You can use load balancer and spin off another instance when your server fails, but you cannot have several servers running at the same time.

Hi Anton,

Thank you for your prompt response.

One more query; regarding the below mentioned link is there any proposed solution from your side

https://www.traccar.org/forums/topic/high-availability-and-load-balancing-using-the-traccar-server/

Thank you

BR
Rabiul

I believe I already commented on that thread. What is your question exactly?

trackinguser4455 years ago

mohammad: tell me what happens when a traccar instance fails..try to think this through

and also tell me what is the most important objective you have if the instance fails..do you need to access the web portal? do you need just tracking data?

and like anton says you cannot have several servers running at the same time..think about what is going one from start to finish.

Hi @trackinguser445, thank you for your valuable guideline. However as we are going to use this traccar server for commercial use for fleet-management as well as for the motor bike user of field sales force ; hence my client need at least 99% up time grantee for the tracking server .

As they also mentioned that for the field force agent they are paying TA (Travel Allowance) to field force agent everyday at actual visit; so to verify the visiting place and distance they need the traccar server to be 99% up time assurance.

In this circumstances to achieve this 99% availability without any downtime we consider the architecture as like N+1 redundancy model or if it can be 1+1 redundancy model that will be more effective.

Thank you

BR

Rabiul

You can easily achieve 99% uptime with a single server. You need a database cluster and a load balancer that would spin off Traccar instance if existing instance is dead. Startup time can be minutes if not seconds.

Anton: is that available with DO? is there a tutorial? what about existing data on the dead existing instance-is that what you are referring to when you comment about a database cluster?
Rabiul: how many users do you expect to peak at? Does your client have any on-site premise requirements for the instance? Email or sms alerts?

@trackinguser445,

As we are targeting to sell about 20K device and considering that during peak time we may have 3000 to 5000 instance request from the user.
Also for the fleet-management and filed force server my client also need SMS notification to the admin number or the controller number.

ok-anton what is your hardware specs for this usage?

Rabiul:
are they going to be self admin registrations or self-registrations? What country are sms alerts going to?

@trackinguser445:

Yes they will be self admin registrations and the SMS will be route to our own country. Mean the admin cell phone number or the person who is controlling the sales filed force and fleet management.

ok...are you manually creating the registrations or are they creating their own (self-register)? How about the identifier? How does that get programmed? There are some solutions if you provide your contact details..

It would be both, initially we will do registration of some device and later they will their own. The identifier will be the IMEI number of the tracking device.

mdrabiulhossain@gmail.com