No notifications

Hi, new traccar user here. Found many posts on this and as far as I can see I've done the right things but still don't see any notifications. Not through web, neither through email. Using the 'send test notification' works just fine: I immediately get an email. I have set both the server wide settings in traccar.xml as well as added the (same) attributes to the account settings. Used the instructions here: https://www.traccar.org/documentation/notifications/.

I've configured the notifications in the 'map' window and subsequently selected ('ticked') these in the 'devices' window.

To test I've set report.trip.minimalTripDistance to 1: <entry key='report.trip.minimalTripDistance'>1</entry>. As a consequence in the status window I see 'movement = yes' most of the time. So the trigger is working. But no web notifications, nor any email............

Looked in the log. Cannot find anything that points to an error.

So, since many are using this, I must be missing something but no idea what.

Any clue appreciated!

Cheers, Mike

Anton Tananaev5 years ago

Do you see events in the report?

P.S. Are you from NZ?

Yes, I have set the interval in the tracker device to 10 seconds and see an event refresh in the device window and in the report every 10 seconds.

I used to live in NZ and still visit regularly. Amazing country.

Thanks, Mike

I was talking about events report.

Ok, just looked. Only a few records. And only one that says 'apparaat beweegt'(= device is moving) from 3 days ago.

How does this match the status window (named it device window above, sorry) where I see 'beweging - ja' (motion/movement - yes) many times in every 10 seconds refresh?

Which makes sense to me since I set the distance key to 1m and with the GPS inaccuracy (I can see from the coordinates) it is moving most of the time.

I don't really understand the question. Event is some significant event, not just any location update.

Hi Anton,

to test that notification really works (the email test button works, that's not the point) I've set the minimum distance (see above) to just 1 meter. The car itself has not moved but because of GPS inaccuracy (the variation is always a couple of meters, which is actually shown in the traccar status window which is updated every 10 seconds) there is motion. Hence, there is movement of more than 1 meter almost every 10 seconds.
Nevertheless, the event report you pointed me at does not show any movements (apart from the one occurrence a couple of days ago). So, from that respect no notification makes sense of course. But why does my test case not work? There ís movement of more than 1 meter every 10 seconds!

Thanks, Mike

ps. I see that you have a NZ history as well.....

I don't know how I can be more clear about it. Location report is not an event.

But if location changes every 10 seconds by more than 1 meter, then that is motion/movement by traccar definition. Right? And I've set rules in traccar that I want a notification if the gps tracker moves. So, I don't understand why I do not get a notification.

You will get a single notification when device changes the state from stationary to movement.

Ok, the 'single' makes sense and makes me understand why my test case is no good. I will think of a better one (like driving around :-)) after changing minimum distance back to a reasonable number.

Still puzzled though why the status window shows motion most of the time but not all the time. That change should qualify for a device state change? Or is the data/stats/logic there different?