Unable to reclaim the disk space

Himanshu4 years ago

Dear Sir
I have a traccar local server setup with 1 year data of 200 devices in MYSQL database. Since database size is increasing and don't require old data, I execute below mysql query on command prompt to delete the data as suggested in a different thread of this forum:

delete from tc_positions where servertime < DATE(NOW() - INTERVAL 90 day);
delete from tc_statistics where capturetime < DATE(NOW() - INTERVAL 90 day);
delete from tc_events where servertime < DATE(NOW() - INTERVAL 90 day);

After executing above command, the number of records in database is reduced but the disk size is remain same. Then I tried OPTIMIZE table tc_positions; but got below message:

| Table            | Op       | Msg_type | Msg_text                                                          |
+------------------+----------+----------+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
| vts.tc_positions | optimize | note     | Table does not support optimize, doing recreate + analyze instead |
| vts.tc_positions | optimize | error    | Invalid default value for 'devicetime'                            |
| vts.tc_positions | optimize | status   | Operation failed                                                  |
+------------------+----------+----------+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
3 rows in set, 2 warnings (0.00 sec)

After that I found a suggestion on StackOverflow to resolve similar issue so I execute this command ALTER table tc_positions ENGINE=InnoDB; and got below message:

ERROR 1067 (42000): Invalid default value for 'devicetime'

Now I have no clue of resolving this issue. Can you guide me what is best way to delete old record in traccar and how can I reclaim the disk size.

Anton Tananaev4 years ago

Disable NO_ZERO_DATE for your MySQL session.

Himanshu4 years ago

Dear Anton
I have set the NO_ZERO_DATE in MYSQL. After that I run the query DELETE FROM tc_positions WHERE fixtime < '2019-12-01 00:00:00'; to delete the record older that 1/12/2019. After that I run the query optimize table tc_positions;
The Phpmyadmin is showing database file size and number of record is still same as older. I don't have much disk space left.
What could be the reason for this issue.

It won't change file size. Number of records should be smaller though, if you deleted something.

Himanshu4 years ago

Dear Sir
So how can I reclaim the disk space. Please guide. What could be the best way to keep the database size in control other it will keep on increasing.

As long as you removed the old data, you should be fine. MySQL will reuse the space.