Alternative to VPS / public IP address to run Traccar Server

marc3 years ago

Some people just have one or two trackers and do not want to rent a VPS. People using shared hosting can install Traccar Server but it won't work because they haven't got the required raw port access. Also some people may want to run the Traccar Server on the Mobile Internet and again there are problems getting raw access to their public IP address.

Traccar Server doesn't work without access to a public IP address. A listening public IP address is needed for the tracker device to send its data to (unless it's tracker that uses a different method, such as 'direct-to-database' https://www.traccar.org/forums/topic/embedded-traccar-server-tracker-device-itself-contains-some-of-traccar-server/ . ) They cannot have have a listening port on the IP address because they share their IP address with a 1000 other neighors on SH.

So the idea I have is this. Instead of renting a whole VPS and running Traccar Server on it (for maybe just two tracker devices) instead somehow rent a message forwarding service with provides the bit you can't have with shared hosting.

This is my first thoughts: Starting with you have Traccar Server installed on your shared hosting or mobile device or whatever and you don't have access to a listening port.
This "Message Forwarding Service" (MFS) is hosted on a VPS or dedicated server (with the needed public IP address). The MFS is a hub. A router.
Everyone's trackers connect to the MFS and it routes incoming messages back out to each registered account owner. It does this via an always-on TCP link, for each Traccar Server.

Now this is the novel part: Alongside the Traccar Server there is a 'Bridge' . This bridge fills in the gap caused by the limitations of shared hosting. The bridge establishes an always-on connection to the MFS (router hub) with an outgoing TCP port. The bridge emulates a raw input port of public IP address. The Traccar Server thinks it is connected to port of a public IP address. The MFS accepts incoming TCP connections from everyone's server that hosts their Traccar (a outgoing connection is much less restricted on shared hosting).

This bridge I don't know if it exists or not, so it may be up to me to create one and this MFS too I guess. If anyone has any ideas?

marc3 years ago

PS I know this is quite a radical idea and could likely upset a few applecarts . There's a growing market in VPS hosting to run Traccar Server and this kind of snatches a lot of the VPS market away. But by compensation it probably allows more instances of the Traccar Server on dynamic IP and on handheld devices on the Mobile Internet

Slawek3 years ago

I have also some radical idea, run server on own machine.

marc3 years ago

I have also some radical idea, run server on own machine.

What if your own machine doesn't have always-on access to a public IP address? What if the access is impossible (ie mobile internet or no control of firewall)? This is why people consider a VPS because it's not sensitive to these problems with own machine.

marc3 years ago

This is why people have to consider a VPS because they can't run server on own machine.

marc3 years ago

Website won't let me edit my draft.
I realise my original posting didn't make it clear enough this is for the people who have to consider a VPS because they can't run server on own machine for one reason or another.

I guess this fowarding service idea could also extend further to people with access to public IP but not always on, It could buffer messages when the Traccar Server is temporarily offline when the tracker itself has no built in buffering.

Slawek3 years ago

If they can't run own machine no matter why, if they have problems with Cloud VPS no matter why, they can choose this

https://www.traccar.org/product/tracking-server/

marc3 years ago

If they can't run own machine no matter why, if they have problems with Cloud VPS no matter why, they can choose this https://www.traccar.org/product/tracking-server/

The above costs $600 a year, aimed for business users for 50 tracker devices. As I said some people just have one or two trackers and don't want that. They just want to replace the tracking already built into Whatsapp Google etc and a growing number of already-built-in solutions

Richard Acosta3 years ago

If you can't run traccar on your own machine you don't have the basic knowledge to start with.

I have it running on my tvbox, behind my home router and I have dinamyc IP changing every 12 hours.
Also have a VPS and had it for 1 year to track only my own motorcycle.

There's always people capable of finding problems on every solution.

marc3 years ago

@ Richard Acosta

Impossible when the server hosting Traccar runs on a VM inside a mobile internet device that's connected to Mobile Internet. Can't establish a listening connection on Public IP port with Mobile Internet.

Apart from VPS being overkill as a solution, why duplicate 99% of what already have on your own server, just to get the 'traditional' listening IP port?

marc3 years ago

And also many corporate networks block access to a listening public IP port, and they are not even on Mobile Internet.

This is why this thread is called "Alternative to VPS / public IP address"

Richard Acosta3 years ago

The fact that you don't have the knowledge to do something does'nt mean it's impossible to do it.

No matter how hard you could swing your arms you will never fly, but birds can. So the problem is your own capacity.

marc3 years ago

OK then, explain how to make the Traccar service receive data without access to a public IP address.

Unless anyone can explain how the only thing capable of it is what I suggest.

Slawek3 years ago

did you hear about port forwarding ? but if I good understood you want receive data without access to network adapter, this is not possible.

marc3 years ago

Port forwarding is irrelavent if your server uses mobile Internet / shared hosting for the public IP address - simply because you don't have access to 'port forwarding' with either. Even if you did find an hack or security exploit to get access to the public facing port - it isn't dependable.

This is why I asked in the OP if anyone knows of an alternative to what I suggested (a proxy + bridge or something). By coincidence it's also the title of this thread: "Alternative to VPS / public IP address" .