Silent GPS tracking?

nissekalle08 years ago

First of all, thanks for an excellent piece of software and service.

Is it ever possible to track with GPS from f.i. Android silently i.e. the location info turn off?

Having the Location info turn on all the time uses a lot of battery but worse is that it is seen if stolen and by turning it off the phone can not be tracked anymore.

If it would not be seen that the GPS is turn on but still sends location info to the server would be ideal...

Is it possible?

Thanks!

Anton Tananaev8 years ago

Android has two location providers:

1. GPS
  2. Network (cells and wifi)

It is possible to get location if any of them is available. It's not possible if both are off.

cubacan8 years ago

Hi, I have installed hidden version in a p8 lite with android 6 but can't open app with the "traccar" password. I see it in the app but can't configure it.Any suggest ?
Why not do a play for to see history ?

The problem might be with their custom Phone app. Possibly it doesn't redirect calls to the Traccar Client app. I guess you need to get logs to see what's actually happening. Also, double check that the app has all the permissions in the app manager.

I don't get the last question about history. Please explain a bit more.

liuxyon8 years ago
  1. Network (cells and wifi)

this is not work for all phone. only GPS is work.

@liuxyon, are you sure network provider is enabled in the phone settings? Is phone connected to the internet?

liuxyon8 years ago

yes, i am sure in china network.

Yes, but in China Google is blocked, right? It's not going to work then.

liuxyon8 years ago

YES, GOOGLE IS blocked, but i using USA IPV6 network. So I can visit google sites.

Does network provider work in other apps? If not, it must be a problem with your device or network.

liuxyon8 years ago

my GPS server in china, cells and wifi data should can send to my server. why depend cells and wifi not work?

some users not like keep open GPS in phone, So I want to depend cells and wifi Obtain positioning.

other APP work in cells and wifi Obtain positioning.

That's not how network provider work. It uses Google API to convert cell/wifi data into coordinates, and then just the coordinates are sent to the server.

liuxyon8 years ago

it is download all data to local server? or use other API like http://lbs.amap.com/and http://lbsyun.baidu.com/

it is free.

liuxyon8 years ago

and this is not work too.

<entry key='geocoder.enable'>true</entry>
<entry key='geocoder.type'>google</entry>

I already answered the question. It uses Google service. That's how all Android devices work.