odometer range of error about 11%

Segads8 months ago

I just check the odometer for one of our vehicles, and its arround 11% or like 40km in 3 days, whats the average range of error of the total distance ?
this cant be normal righ?

Anton Tananaev8 months ago

There's no average. It depends on how your device is reporting data. Server just accumulates the distance between all points reported by the device.

Segads8 months ago

I just check and our devices has some jumps, our vehicles work on a mountain area, In ecuador, so its posible that the jumps in our devices are related to the lost of signal? and if thats the case, theres any way to cache the gps data until the signal comes back, this will only work if the device even if lots cellular conection still has gps data to report

Anton Tananaev8 months ago

Of curse it's possible to get incorrect distance if you have jumps. You need to figure out the root cause of the jumps though before we can suggest any solution.

Track-trace8 months ago

I wonder though, why dont you show your device brand and model. And the update frequency that you use with the device?

renaud8 months ago

Some devices are able to store in their memory all the positions, then send them to the server once they reconnect. But if your device doesn't allow that, you will lose all way points when you don't have network. That's more a device problem that a traccar one.

Angus Lithgow8 months ago

Consider the difference between your GPS reported points, and the actual path travelled by the vehicle. Your vehicle odometer is driven by the gearbox or ABS wheel sensors. It can measure the wheel turning with a resolution of something like 30-100mm per step. Your GPS probably reports in the range of 50-300m per step (depending on angle detection etc).
Arc Length Image - Wikipedia

The more reports you send, the more accurate the GPS odometer can be, but there are obviously downsides to that, as well as the GPS accuracy in canyons etc.

Richard Acosta8 months ago

Go and make a circle by normally dragging a pencil over the paper.
Then
Go and make a circle by just pressing the pencil some few times over the paper...

Now go and calculate your 1st circle circumference then sum all your 2nd "circle" sides... Check the values differences.

You're welcome.