Reverse Geocoding per account

Ronald8 months ago

Good day

Is it possible to set reverse geocoding key per account?
For example if the entire server is using a Locationiq API key with lower limits, we then configure a specific account to use another key (or provider) with higher limits.
When that specific account makes a request, it is done via their specific key and not necessarily the server wide key.
Kindly advise if it is possible or if there is a way.

Thank you

Track-trace8 months ago

Why dont you set up your own nominatim server. It works great and you would have no limits

Ronald8 months ago

Track-trace thank you, i had not thought towards those lines. Do you have one running? if you do, what server specs are you using if you don't mind sharing.

Track-trace8 months ago

The nominatim server wont take much resources. Actually i run several servers on a own build windows computer. But for that i use virtual box installed on that windows pc.

On virtualbox i installed many ubuntu servers each for its specific tascs.

It took me a long time to find out howto do that properly and make it work within a local lan (so that the servers communicate with each other) and at the same time expose it to the internet with ssl domains set up.

The one time you need lots of memory and computing power is when you import the database into nominatim. But that will depend on the country's that you install. I believe installing all streets of Europe about 25 Gb took more the 24 hours on a 5950x with 16 cores and 128 GB ddr4 memory installed on a 2 Tb 980 pro nvme.

But after that your nominatim server will not take much cpu resources or memory. But the key here is the fast 980 pro nvme.

That was also the idear about use virtualbox since you can address less cpu cores and memory after the initial setup is done.

But a simple way for you would be to do it on Digital ocean for instance, Just install ubuntu, give it a lot of resources to build the nominatim database and afterwards scale it down.

In the end you have lots of benefits and no additional cost (besides hosting your own server which can be very cheap)

Ronald8 months ago

@Track-trace Thank you so much for the suggestion. Very insightful indeed. I am starting to look into it right away. Many thanks, you are appreciated!

Track-trace8 months ago

Thats ok Ronald, if you are really going to work on it and at some point get stuck, you can write a message here.

I forgot to mention that after installing the data for Europe europe-latest.osm.pbf

http://download.geofabrik.de/

And then import that data in the nominatim database the total size of the OS plus Nominatim was 680 GB.

Its possible to periodicly update the database, even while the nominatim server is running.

For you to test the import of a country it is best to first import a small country.

Ronald8 months ago

Awesome! Thank you so much Track-trace, you have been more than helpful.
I will do just that and drop a message here if i get stuck.
Thank you for the tip once again!
Cheers :)

Massimo8 months ago

Look at GitHub mediagis/nominatim.
I run it fine on Contabo vps (low cost of 7€/month).

Ronald8 months ago

Thank you @Massimo for the input. I will definitely take a look as well.
Cheers :)

Massimo8 months ago

Hi @Ronald

Remember to set a docker-chain on ufw firewall and allow access only from Traccar’s ip server.

jay8 months ago

what is the traccar.xml setting if I host my own nominatim server

Massimo8 months ago

This is my working setting:

<!-- GEOCODER -->
<entry key='geocoder.url'>http://YOUR-GEOCODER-SERVER-IP:8080/reverse.php</entry>
<entry key='geocoder.onRequest'>true</entry> 
<entry key='geocoder.format'>%r %h, %u, %t - %s - %c</entry> 
<entry key='geocoder.ignorePositions'>false</entry>
<entry key='geocoder.reuseDistance'>100</entry>
<entry key='geocoder.processInvalidPositions'>false</entry>
Track-trace8 months ago

I use reuse distance 20 meters to still get nearby house numbers and also use processInvalidPositions<true>

jay7 months ago

any help how to set a docker container with nominatim automatic start after the server restarts.

Massimo7 months ago

@jay

Look at https://github.com/mediagis/nominatim-docker/tree/master/4.3

You’ll find all you need (well explained). Remember: set persistent storage for data and set the country you need in docker option.