Cant understand messages from tracker

hairydog6 years ago

I'm trying to set up a tracker which I thought was using TK103 format, but it doesn't seem as if it is.

At present it is set up to useport 5001 and messages are getting through, but not being read. I've tried running them through the hex decoder but that doesn't work

Here is an example from the log:

2018-02-20 17:59:37 DEBUG: [EE3821E5: 5001 < 213.205.242.15] HEX: 78780a13440604000000aa13b50d0a

What can I do to make this work?

hairydog6 years ago

I've noticed that all the messages start 78780 or 78781

Anton Tananaev6 years ago

Your device uses GT06 protocol, so correct port is 5023.

hairydog6 years ago

Thanks. Where could I have found this info? I don't want to have to bother you each time a new strange device comes along!

hairydog6 years ago

Another question: what should the device ID be? Is it shown in the message I posted?

On the main devices page there is a link to this page:

https://www.traccar.org/clones/

For any Chinese device you must read it first. I don't know why you assumed that your device uses TK103 protocol, but you can't determine it by the name of the device, as the page explains.

hairydog6 years ago

I have read that page. It makes no mention of GT06 protocol. It explains how to work out hex protocols, but not binary ones.

The problem with the suggestion to try port 5023 was that I did not have any information about what the device ID will be.

I am hoping that something will show in the logs that gives me a clue to the ID, but I'm now waiting for the person to send the new port command to the device.

I started by assuming TK103 because you have to start somewhere - probably not a good plan!

Your question was about identifying protocol. You can identify it by trying different ports. As you can see, you posted second question at the same time that I answered your first one, so obviously I didn't see your second question and my answer was for the first one only. Device id can be identified in the server logs.

There is plenty of documentation available and there are a lot of forum thread on how to identify protocols and device identifiers. Make sure you do some research before asking questions.

hairydog6 years ago

To try different ports, I need to email the person whose tracker it is and get him to send the SMS command each time. This can take several hours.
I now realise that I should have asked him for the phone number and the password of the tracker and taken it over until the setup was complete, but I did not.
Your software is brilliant, your support is excellent. But the documentation assumes a level of understanding that is greater than a newcomer has. The infomation almost certainly is there, but not easy to find if you don't already know where to look.

You are welcome to contribute to the documentation, but it sounds like mostly your problem is with devices themselves, not documentation.

hairydog6 years ago

The documentation is mostly fine, though not beginner-friendly enough. It presupposes a functional understanding that newcomers are not given.
An functional overview document with references to where the other detailed and technical documentation can be found would be really useful.
For example, although it says to try a list of differrent ports with Chinese trackers, nowhere does it explain that connections on different ports will lead to the data being interpreted in different ways by the server.
That is probably obvious to you, but it isn't to other people.