Configuration T80 - vjoycar - bike tracker, elderly tracker, pet tracker, 4G

thorben3 years ago

Hello everyone. I have this tracker, which, as so often, is sold under various names.

T80 is the most common one and it seems to come from VJOYCAR and others. Configuring it was a pain, so if anyone ever buys this (it seems to be one of the few 4G bike trackers available right now), I thought I'd share a few things that are NOT in the documentation (the official manual is only really useful if you use it with their software, also the instructions I was given from the supplier were not 100% correct).

What protocol does it use?

TK103, so your port will be 5002

How do I change the server on this thing?

None of the standard commands that I could find by googling really worked for me. ip123456, *setip*, none of them.
Vjoycar said:

Step 1: Transfer the IP and Port to your own server:
If your server is: 
IP: 47.88.66.255 Port: 6001

Then the command is:
*hostset*47*88*66*255*6001*
Step 2:Set the apn 
Step 3: Register the master control number  
For step 2 and step 3,please kindly check our fast guide.

This doesn't quite work though. Instead, the command seems to be *hostset*IPHOST:PORT*, so for example *hostset*demo.traccar.org:5002* - this worked for me. I have not tried it with the IP, but when I set my IP with *hostset*127*0*0*1*5002* the thing just said "Host set to 127", so it seems that's not working.

The APN command (*apn*APN*) and password command are as per the manual.

I hope someone finds this useful. Cheers.

Anton Tananaev3 years ago

Thanks for sharing this information.

shawn8083 years ago

Thanks for sharing. Why is this particular device expensive? Can you give your impression on it and how the battery life is like

thorben3 years ago

I cannot give you the actual reason but:

• 4G devices are still more expensive. And not widely available in tiny form factors. However, the good ild 2G and 3G networks will soon deprecate (and, in some places, already have)
  • The stupid free market.

I have little experience yet with day to day use. From my tests so far, it should give you about 24 hrs of tracking. I don’t know yet how deep it sleeps. A few things though:

• set it up so it sleeps when not in use.
  • turn off the lights (see edit below)
  • use a low tracking density (real time tracking is cool, but likely drains the battery)
thorben3 years ago

EDIT:
The dang thing flashes constantly. Even in sleep. The documentation is no help. But their support is:

SMS: 2000 to off the led light
SMS: 2011 to on the led light

shawn8083 years ago

Thanks for the info! Since your using for a bike, are you doing the interval really small (5 seconds)?

thorben3 years ago

Nope. For tracking my rides I‘d still prefer something like Strava. I want this for theft protection.

My reasoning is: I need to know if my bike moves out of my apartment without me. I will (shock sensor) immediately see when it starts moving. I don‘t however, need to know every route a thief is taking. I‘d rather have enough battery to see where a thief stores it and just go straight there. So currently I am trialing it on 60secs, but I think even 5min will do. If I want to chase a thief, I can always increase the interval. All of my bikes, so far, were always stolen when I wasn’t around. The idea of real time (ie 5-10sec) is cool, but doesn’t really help that much IMHO.

Since this thing charges on 5V, and I have a permanent dynamo, I am considering soldering it to the light as well. These lights also exist out of the boy with a proper connector, but not for 4G right now.

shawn8083 years ago

Very interesting points , thanks again. Hopefully none of your bikes get stolen again!

thorben3 years ago

Thanks, kind stranger. I live in a large city (3.5m+ people). Unfortunately the question isn’t if your bike gets stolen, but when.

Artiom3 years ago

I have this device as well and there is some useful info in this thread:
https://www.traccar.org/forums/topic/compact-personal-gps-device-recommendation/

Artiom3 years ago
*hostset*IPHOST:PORT* 

IP in normal format with dots works fine. I don't understand why support has given you that * delimited example.

Jose3 years ago

Yo no consigo que conecte a internet en dos sims diferentes, utilizo *apn*internet.digimobil.es*digi*digi* y no conecta a internet y tampo con *apn*orangeworld*

Jose3 years ago

*apn*internet.digimobil.es*digi*digi*

Jose3 years ago

Apn is set to internet.digimobil.es. Username: digi. Password: digi.

Jose3 years ago

*apn*orangeworld*