Configuring GPSSplitter to use an identifier

Joey Skaggs2 years ago

Hello.
I'm looking into having GPSSplitter from GPSGate report GPS information from the "MiFi" pucks we use for internet access on our laptops mounted in our patrol cars. I have installed the "GPS over WiFi" driver and GPSSplitter sees the GPS info from the unit when I specify which COM port it's coming from. My question is; is there documentation or a tutorial of some sort to walk me through the rest of the process of getting GPSSPlitter to talk to the server with the necessary identifier?

Anton Tananaev2 years ago

What format does it send the info in?

Joey Skaggs2 years ago

I must be honest, I don't know. I found an article on google referencing a topic in these forums about someone using GPSGate. But I never saw a resolution. Here is the article that I found. I did see that GPSGate was on the supported devices list.

Is it possible that I have the output of the GPSSplitter configured incorrectly? I was using the "gpsgate.com" option and configuring the server URL for the https://server.traccar.org.

You probably need to configure one of the device ports. Does it ask for a URL? Try http://server.traccar.org:5055.

Joey Skaggs2 years ago

Yes sir. Then it prompts for a log in. I input the account information and it used to show "302 - found" but now it's saying server timeout. I need to check and see what's going on with that.

Joey Skaggs2 years ago

Not sure what happened but that's working now. Now I just need to figure out how to have GPSgate send an identifier with the information. Anything deeper than the GUI, I'm not very good at.

For what it's worth, I'm not married to the idea of using GPSGate. If there is another option for a piece of software on windows reporting gps info to server.traccar.org, I'm willing to look into it. I did see some scripts to run through windows power shell but I couldn't get those to work either for some reason. Even after modifying the script to use the appropriate com port.

Joey Skaggs2 years ago

Not had any such luck so far with what I'm looking for. Our wireless internet "pucks" (MiFi 8800L) have the ability to provide an NMEA text stream over the wireless network connection through a COM port. My goal is to find a piece of windows software that's running in the form of either a windows executable or even a script that exports that data to the server via the OsmAnd protocol.

I don't have the level of knowledge necessary to write scripts however, I can usually modify some specifics in a pre-written script to fit my configuration. I located a power shell script here in these forms from 6 years ago however, powershell has changed since then so I think some of the commands no longer work.

Anton, do you know of a piece of windows software that would fulfill my needs? Or is one possibly in development? I'd be willing to fund something but please understand my budget is greatly limited as its coming out of my own pocket. I tried every option to get GPSGate to work however, I was ultimately unsuccessful. If there is documentation out there for using GPSGate with Traccar I can't find it but would love to look it over.

I guess this is a long way of begging for a windows version of the traccar client, ha!

For what it's worth, we have our own instance of traccar working with the android clients flawlessly. Very impressed with the software's abilities.

Joey Skaggs2 years ago

I did see that. I get errors when I try to run it that I'm still struggling with. That I'm working on my own time and will possibly take a bit.