Customization & Licensing T&C

KK2 years ago

Hello,
Is it ok if we do the following modifications in web view so that it reflects with our custom app name and logo?

1. Replace the Traccar name and logo with custom name and logo.
  2. Remove the "Powered by Traccar GPS Tracking System" link.
  3. Remove the "Preview modern interface" link.
    Does it have any impact on the licensing T&C if we do the above mentioned changes?
    Thank you!
    BR,
    KK
Anton Tananaev2 years ago

You are free do all those changes, but make sure you understand source code license requirements.

KK2 years ago

Hi,
Thank you Anton.
Does that mean that if we change the name and logo we may have to disclose the source code since Traccar web is based on GNU General Public License v3.0 ?
If we go with branding, hope this issue will not be there.
BR,
KK

That's a requirement from a third party library. Note that it only applies to the classic app. Modern app is under Apache license.

KK2 years ago

Hi Anton,
Yes I understand, but since we cannot use the modern app due to some missing functionality like login flow callback, we are forced to use the classic app.
BR,
KK

Sure, then you have to use GPL.

KK2 years ago

Hi,
Thanks Anton, Hope branding will resolve this issue? Hope we can get a customized version for us with support for future releases?
BR,
KK

Not sure I understand the question.

KK2 years ago

Hi Anton,
I thought if you customize the app for us as part of the branding, we may not have to disclose the source code.
BR,
KK

As I said earlier, the issue is a third party framework. It has nothing to do with us.

KK2 years ago

Thanks a lot Anton, it is clear now. One last question not related to Traccar though. When GPL says disclose the source code, can we just disclose the Traccar web with these logo changes alone in our GitHub account?

That's up to you how you provide the source code. You don't even have to publish it anywhere. You can just provide it if someone requests it.

KK2 years ago

Thank you Anton.