Device recommendation

xynergy9 years ago

Good day,

I also posted on the facebook page, looking for recommendation for a GPS tracker for my car. I am based in Toronto, Canada. I would prefer a device from North America because of convenience, but I am open to ordering from other places also.

I've seen quiet a few on Alibaba from retailers in China but I am cautious of ordering from China primarily because of my lack of experience. If any of you guys know any retailers in from China, I am open to the idea also.

Thanks

Anton Tananaev9 years ago

Unfortunately I don't have much experience with actual hardware, so I cannot recommend any specific devices.

As for GPS trackers from China, most of them lack configuration options, but if you want simple tracking it might be a good option. Also quality and support can be a problem. Basically if you plan to use it for personal purposes, then I would get some Chinese device because it's cheaper. For any commercial/business use you should probably get a device from a good brand as would it probably save money on maintenance costs.

In North America I think CalAmp is the biggest player on the GPS tracking hardware market.

xynergy9 years ago

Thanks Anton, those are two good points, quality and support. While it is for personal use, as a hobby, I am also considering the commercial aspect also. I've reached out to CalAmp.

If any future readers are interested, I can post the feed back I've received from CalAmp. Just let me know.

gabrielcz9 years ago

Hi,
My only experience is with MEITRACK, MVT380, MV310 and TK103,and 102 ...
I use them to put into a tractor in a farm, so TOO MANY DUST... I have NOT any problems at all with the MVT380.
Now, I have 10 devices, all of them are mvt380. I am very happy with meitrack, and work like a charm in traccar.

Regards,

xynergy9 years ago

Thank you Gabrielcz for your recommendation.

Hello, greetings to the whole traccar community. I would like to know how I can configure MVT380 with traccar, I currently have my server installed and I have only tested it with mobile devices and it works perfectly. Someone could guide me how to register a GPS in traccar please, I have never installed a GPS; I would greatly appreciate the general procedure to guide me and I can investigate on my own. Regards!!