Devices that work with Data-Only SIMs?

alexthefifth7 years ago

It seems most cheap trackers will send data over UDP/TCP but are there any that will allow you to reprogram them over UDP/TCP? It seems they all require SMS for reprogramming, thus the SIM card has to be provisioned for SMS?

The only devices we've seen so far that allow OTA reprogramming are Enfora and Genx but both are only for 2G networks and discontinued :(

Anton Tananaev7 years ago

Most devices support GPRS commands, but you still need SMS to point device to the server first time.

darreno7 years ago

We use tracking units that use a OTA server to program record intervals, uploads, etc without SMS. The units have auto-apn. I am going to test them on the traccar server as this will provide inexpensive tracking.

alexthefifth7 years ago

darreno, can you let us know the make/model of the units you are using?

I don't mind having to use SMS to program the devices initially (before being permanently installed in a vehicle), as long as later on we can reprogram the devices remotely without having to use SMS or USB.

baZzz7 years ago

Coban, Queclink, ATrack and Teltonika trackers can all be setup and updated without having to send a single SMS. I don't know if this applies to all of Coban's trackers (I only tested the 306A), but for the others, I'm pretty sure that they do. Of course, these are the more expensive trackers on the market.

darreno7 years ago

@bazzz, we tested Coban, 303G, 102, 103, 104 and had to use SMS to set up.
How/where did you get info to set up OTA?

Thanks!

baZzz7 years ago

Like I said, I only tested the 306A, so I can't say for sure about the rest, but here are the details for setting it up via the computer. The documentation is very sparse as you probably know already, so the information below is from many hours of trial & error. It works for the 306A, but it very well might work for other models as well.

Configuring via USB/computer

• Connect the tracker to the computer via the micro USB cable that was supplied with the tracker. Turn the tracker on.
  • A new drive should pop up containing a folder 'Download' and the file 'user_config.ini'.
  • There might also be a file called 'p_data.txt'. This file contains (a.o.) the IMEI number and this makes for easier copying & pasting. (Instead of trying to read the barcode that's printed on the tracker.)
  • The 'user_config.ini' file contains the current settings and can be used to change these settings as well. If you do so, make sure you change the first line to the actual password (default '123456', or else the file won't get parsed:
  • OldPassword:123456; (Only support 6 digits)
  • Please note: The last line of the 'user_config.ini' file is blank and should be included in the file as well for some odd reason!
  • After changing the file, save it and 'eject' the drive from your computer. Turn off the tracker. (Wait until it gets automatically disconnected from the computer, this can take up to 60 seconds. Both lights on the tracker will go out as well.)
  • Unplug the cable from the tracker.
  • Turn the tracker back on.
  • The tracker now configures itself according to the data above. You should see a login message and possibly a position as well. (Assuming a valid SIM card has been inserted; the chip should face down!) If the green light doesn't blink: either there's no connection to the GSM network and/or the file wasn't read correctly. Connect the tracker to the PC again* and check what's wrong with the .ini file. (For instance, if there's no empty line after "fix:...", the file won't get parsed by the tracker.) The easiest way to tell if the .ini file has been parsed, is by looking at the first line. If it says "OldPassword:******", it has been parsed, because the .ini file gets rewritten after parsing. So if the actual password is still displayed, the file hasn't been parsed.)
  • * If connecting the tracker (while it's turned on) to the computer doesn't work, try this: disconnect it, turn it off, connect it and turn it back on again. (Normally this shouldn't be necessary however. Only in case of a .ini file that can't be read/parsed.) If this still gives problems, make sure you try it without a SIM card inserted.
baZzz7 years ago

@darreno As for your other question, the protocol page: https://www.traccar.org/protocols/ contains info on the protocol that the 306A uses (gps103) and this info can be used to change settings OTA.

darreno7 years ago

Thank you for the quick replies.

Unfortunately we can't use most of the Chinese made trackers as they are 2G (GPRS) and two of our Telcos in Canada have already discontinued 2G service.
We have found reliable, OTA programmed devices that are testing well throughout Canada and USA.
We are now testing Traccar server to "complete" the package.