GPS TK110 cell tower issues

Redrocket7 years ago

Hi guys, I notice that my fleet of gps are not pinging to traccar server.

I have confirmed that the port is open (5002) through the testing page (on this site) so i don't believe its a server issue.

The GPS I have are the china versions TK110 the band rates are: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz

Here in Australia they begin to discontinue 2G networks on the 1st of December which was the day they stopped working. so this leads me to believe that they are 2G device's. BUT

Q: What I'm confused about is that the TK110 should still be working as 3G bands use 850/900/2100MHz?

2G bands:

900Mhz – Telstra, Optus & Vodafone
1800Mhz (Telstra, Optus & Vodafone all use this band for 4G instead)

3G bands

850MHz (B5) – Telstra, Vodafone
900MHz (B8) – Optus, Vodafone –
2100MHz (B1) – Telstra, Optus, Vodafone

I'm currently using Telstra service.

The TK110 status lights show: RED Flashing Battery, BLUE green GPS, No light from signal

Thanks community!

Redrocket7 years ago

I think I'm about to answer my question..

it might be because the codecs are different, 2G use's GSM while 3G use's UMTS/HSDPA or WCDMA.

if someone could confirm i would appreciate it!

Anton Tananaev7 years ago

I can confirm that difference between 2G and 3G is more than just frequencies. I know some other Traccar users from Australia who had problems because of 2G discontinuation. Most cheap GPS devices use 2G networks only, so if your device doesn't explicitly say that it supports 3G, it's most likely 2G.

Redrocket7 years ago

thanks Anton, ill buy some new trackers with 3G enabled and as you said, alot of these cheap GPS don't say if it supports 2G or 3G.

do you have any GPStracker recommendations? - ill be researching them tonight, Ill have to make sure they are supported with the software as well.

Thanks mate!

Anton Tananaev7 years ago

If description doesn't explicitly say that device supports 3G, it probably means that it doesn't.

I can't recommend any specific device(s), but I know that there are some cheap devices that support 3G communication.