how to configure trackers to ur own server

lokas5 years ago

i have couple of questions, hopefully u can point me to the right direction.
i am about to setup my own linux/windows traccar server.
my question now is, i have multiple device of all sorts.
is there a guide on how to setup each and every GPS to connect to my server ? (if no can u point me to multiple links so i can read up and stich up to everything in one place?)
thanks in advances , by the way i was in the github repo and no guide was there, i think its pretty important for it to be there , if there is any.
even if there is some explanation on some devices it should be there.

2nd question.

i want to put my server behind a firewall, where only one port will be open, lets say 8888,
i will get all traffic from one port only aka "8888" (for example if i open wireshark all the incoming traffic will come through by "that" port)

does it matter to the server ? or its expecting to get it from a specific port (if so why?)?

3rd question.

when setting up all my gps tracking devices to point to my server, do i need to enter them manually into the web service? or it does that automaticly.
what i mean by that is, if i have 30+ devices do i need to write down every imei and then putting them into the web so it can be attach to a "username" , or if i am an admin i can see every device out there that connects to my server. (because writing down manually 30+ imeis can be tedious)

thanks alot guys for all the work u guys put into this awsome project.!

Ernesto Vallejo5 years ago

You are a little bit lost here. There are many considerations you are not getting.

1- In order for you to setup devices need to know what protocol device is using. Check here for protocols documentation or get more info with device vendor/manufacturer.

2 & 3 - Please read carefully documentation in order for you to get your own path to action.

Hope this helps.

lokas5 years ago

thanks alot for the respond.
1, ok lets say i know what protocol they are using or "what device" i have.
whats next, for exmaple i have a tk103 , how do i order it or how i configure it to start communicate with my server, instead of gps123.org (for example)

btw, i did download the protocols from here , https://www.traccar.org/protocols/ , however it does not says how to configure the tracker itself to "speak" to my server.

2, i've read abit the documentation before posting , and a little more after u posted it again,
but i dont have a clear answer to what i am seeking, is that possible to do what i asked for (to put my server behind a firewall and open one port)?
because from my understanding from reading, the server listen to certain ports which expect for a certain protocol on "that" port. for example port 5001 waits for protocol gps103

since the server listening to port x to convert those bytes and hex to data, would it be possible to change files on the server side to listen on one port only for all protocols ?, what will happen then? (for example there is a file ( i assume) that order the server to listen on port 5001 for protocol gps103 and 5002 for tk103 , what if i change those ports to 8888, what will happen then?)

3, can u point me to a better location to see if what can i do about setting up each individual tracker manually into the server.

cheers

1- I'm pretty sure you can get help from device vendor in order to configure your devices. Basically a device requires:

a) APN
b) Server IP/domain
c) port number (choose depending on your device's protocol)
d) any additional configuration (time interval, heartbeats, geofencing, events, sensors, etc)

2- You can close common ports (ftp, rpc, sftp, dns, irc, imap, etc). You can customize port numbers for protocols. You can also configure only those ports that you will be using and remove unused ones. But you cannot have only one port for everything.

3- I honestly don't have an answer for this question.

Do your questions correspond to an actual request?

lokas5 years ago

yea my questions are real , im not shitting ya... this is my request .
right now i can tell u i have this setup for other iot devices.
i am getting all their outbound communication into my server.
so the only thing is just setting up a service for the service to analyze all the incoming packets

not sure the vendor will help me to change the settings tho.
u know, i bought them via aliexpress so i'd guess they have a deal with x site,

dont any one have the command to change the server info ?
or type of commands so i cant try to send multiple commands to the trackers to see if one actually catch the right command :) ?

i did not spoke about the common ports thats obvious .
why cant i use one port for everything ? (what will happen then)

take big site like gps123.org or gpsjm.com or zg666gps.com which have hundred of thousand if not million of devices, u actually think they input manually devices :D ?

perhaps @anton can help out .

Anton Tananaev5 years ago

Each protocol has its own port because format is different. It's impossible to use same port for all protocols. It might be possible for some, but in general - no.

Which devices did you buy?
For bulk upload you can easily use api.

lokas5 years ago

from what i see
i see 2 main protocols H02 , gps103

just by doing a simple google search like gps103 sms commands you can find info like this one. Please note that not all devices that use gps103 protocol do actually use same commands. That's where it turns relevant the vendor information.

lokas5 years ago

cheers :)

17.3 IP and port setup
17.3.1. Send SMS as below via a cell phone: adminip + 123456 + Space + IP Address + Space +
Port Number. If succeeded, “adminip OK” is returned by the device in SMS.
17.3.2 eg,Send SMS command “adminip123456 202.105.135.50 9000 ” to the tracker device, If
succeeded, “adminip OK ” is returned by the device in SMS.( 123456 is default password ,
202.105.135.50 is IP,9000 is port).

trackinguser4455 years ago

hi just following up are you still in a jam?

lokas5 years ago

yea i am.

Jim2 years ago

I appreciate this project but the documentation seems to be lacking an 'introduction' section so that newcomers can get a hold of the key concepts.

A big disclaimer should be put in place making it clear that the GPS device itself must be configured to report to the Traccar server, and that configuration is device/vendor specific.