How to use the API to get the current geozone

Christoph Haas5 years ago

I would appreciate and hint that helps me get the current geozone of a user. There is a feature request for implementing Traccer support into ioBroker (the house automation software). I would gladly do that. But I cannot figure out at the moment how to get a user's geozone through the API. Any hints? Thank you.

Anton Tananaev5 years ago

If user has configured time zone, it should be available in its attributes.

Thanks for the response. But I mean the geozone – not the time zone.
From a call to /api/devices I get this information:

[{"id":2,"attributes":{},"groupId":0,"name":"Chris","uniqueId":"123456","status":"online","lastUpdate":"2018-12-18T10:03:51.021+0000","positionId":355,"geofenceIds":[],"phone":"","model":"","contact":"","category":"person","disabled":false}]

Although I'm in a geozone at the moment I don't get the information here.

To paint the big picture… I intend to send the information about entering/leaving geofences/geozones to my home automation system to let the family know where I am at the moment. So either I have to poll my location every few seconds or I can make Traccar send that information on an event. Currently I only see "Web" (popups) and "Mail" implemented. Is there a way to add such hooks without having to learn Java?

What you provided is device attributes. We are talking about user.

Okay. But according to the documentation you need admin permissions to get user information. And even that JSON data structure does not contain the geofence.

Sorry, I misread it. I thought you want timezone. Looks like you are talking about geofences. User doesn't have geofence. Devices do have geofences and there is corresponding parameter in the model.

No problem. But I fetched the device information (see above) and all I got was:

"geofenceIds":[]

So for some reason I get an empty array although I am definitely within a fence. Am I doing anything wrong?

It probably means that geofence is not linked to this particular device.

I am logged in as a non-admin, have just one device and several geofence zones. Is there an extra step required to map the device to the zones?

Yes, as I said, you need to link geofences to devices. It's also mentioned in the official documentation.

I did not find it mentioned in the documentation. But I just figured out that I can click on a device and then using the "gear" icon select "Geofences" and assign them. It didn't appear to me that I have both to define and also assign a geofence zone. But you are right of course… I now get the proper number of the geozone. Thanks for your support.

Now I will try to learn enough Java to add a notificator that allows me to send an event to ioBroker. :)