Indoor Position myth??

bravo997 years ago

Hi guys, on almost all the related gps websites, it says that gps trackers only will work on open sky, and when indoor it will loose signal, and from all devices i tested is true.

But on my samsung A5, samsung edge, and ipaid Air, when indoor, and basement, it never looses signal and give a very precise location, so what technologie are they using that the others trackers not using? i suppose can be the Glonass? on this devices they can locate very precisely the exact house, when fails is just 3 or 4 meters.

the wifi function dont work in europe and is not precise. i think it only works on china.

im looking for child trackers for sell on my countrie, but im not confortable selling something that when indoor give until 5km away wrong position, anyone can recommend a brand or manufacturer with good indoor position? i already tested 4 or 5 devices from china only one have good location indoor but is a card and have a very low battery standby time.

thanks

Anton Tananaev7 years ago

It's not a myth and any other currently availably satellite-based positioning system work the same was as GPS and requires sky visibility.

Indoors all you can get is cell and wifi-based positioning. Sometimes is can be fairly accurate.

Why doesn't wifi positioning work in Europe? That's the first time I hear about it.

bravo997 years ago

On my samsung A5, samsung edge and ipad 2 air the gps dont require open sky to get a very precise location inside buildings or basements, they are very precise indoors.

chinese wifi function from chinese manufacturers dont activate indoor in Portugal(europe) i think wifi the protocol may be different. i tested 5 devices and dont activate wifi location just GPS or LBS that give very bad location data indoor, or better dont work indoor. is not useful to locate people like eldery or dogs because they pass a great average of the day at home.

Anton Tananaev7 years ago

As I said, GPS requires sky visibility, so "gps dont require open sky to get a very precise location" statement is completely incorrect. Your mobile devices probably use WiFi for localization. Almost no GPS tracking devices support WiFi localization. Which ones are you using? Are you absolutely sure they support WiFi?