IOT tracking

Dan2 years ago

Hi, new to this so may seem like a stupid question. Do IOT tracking devices, that don't support SMS, require fixed IP address in order for the Traccar server to change settings remotely?
Thanks in advance
Dan

Anton Tananaev2 years ago

No, that's not how it works. Traccar server does not connect to devices. Devices connect to the server.

Track-trace2 years ago

@Dan

Its actually true that you need to configure the device, to point it to a tracking server ip or url. If you cant configure the device with sms to point it to a tracking server ip and port. Then you might do it with the device connected to a computer and then set the server ip and port. Once the device connects to the server it will come online and you will be able to send commands from the server to the device..

Dan2 years ago

Sorry just to clarify, Anton suggests that no two way communication exists between the server and the device. Just device to server only. Track-Trace suggests that once the device is connected that it is able to send commands from the device to the server. I would like to try via IOT SIM, but understand that communication may have to be from the SIM provider control panel to the device to alter reporting settings rather than from the Traccar server to the device.

Anton suggests that no two way communication exists between the server and the device

That's not what I said. I said the server cannot connect to the device. It can send commands to the device once the device established a connection.

Dan2 years ago

Thats great, thanks for the clarification. Do the device IOT sims require a fixed IP address in order for the commands to be received from the server?

No, you don't need a fixed IP on the device side.